redsea's 125g Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also, I wanted to ask about my rock. By the looks of it, it looks like there is aiptasia on it. Do you guys think that it is worth saving it? Granted I did move some of the rock (not sure if there is aiptasia on these pieces) to the 125g.

redsea said:
Also, I wanted to ask about my rock. By the looks of it, it looks like there is aiptasia on it. Do you guys think that it is worth saving it? Granted I did move some of the rock (not sure if there is aiptasia on these pieces) to the 125g.

Yes! Just squirt it with boiling lemon water. That works like a charm and is cheap if you have lemon juice in the house

Yes! Just squirt it with boiling lemon water. That works like a charm and is cheap if you have lemon juice in the house

Thanks! Do I need to wash the rock off after I squirt the aiptasia with boiling lemon water? And approximately how much lemon juice should i add to the water? Thanks!

Here is another question about ich.

Does it die when it has dried out? If not, how long can it live dried out? Thanks.

For killing the apastia I would shut down all the pumps and circulation and inject it in the center of the anemone. I use aipastia X which is really good, it even comes with syringes so you can really get at the buggers.

Space lord said:
Filefish work great for aiptasia

There is no guarantee that file fish would eat it . Even peppermint shrimp are hit and miss. No offense but IMO it's not good advice. You don't buy fish to take care of something that a little Apastasia x can take care off. It's like buying a Pleco when you can just scrape algae yourself.

I have had great success with matted filefish and not so much luck with aiptasia x or lemon juice plus the filefish have a cool personality.just sayin

Some Thoughts for Tanks :-D

So lately I have been a little nervous about ich, and really don't wait it to be a huge deal if I get it again. The thought came to my mind that I could use the 125g as a Fish-Only tank, and the 55g as a full-blown reef with no fish. :) That way, if ich somehow appeared again, I could treat in the DT. It would be like a big QT, but I wouldn't have to remove the fish. The 125g would just be a simple Fish-Only. I was even thinking of finding a way to use my new 25g lights for my 55g to help with some great coral growth in there.

I know that this sounds kind of crazy, but the thought came to mind so I figured I would share. :)

Thanks so much for following!

So you are sure it is ick now? I don't know if I would use copper in the tank even if you didn't go reef. It is possible to do hyposalinity in the dt but it's not usually recommended.I'm doing that now and it's working great. Do you have any pics of the affected fish?

This is what I was thinking of for the plan above.

1. Remove 45 lbs of rock and coral from LA, put into 55g. I would leave the rock I added from my 55g to make sure I kept some bacteria
2. Move fish from 55g to 125g (with my Blue Hippo and Clown) to treat for ich
3. Test water levels daily and perform water changes if needed (since a lot of bacteria will be killed by the treatment).
4. After treatment, leave the fish in there (as this would be a Fish-Only tank, so if ich ever seemed to get into the system, it is possible that I could treat in the tank), and probably add some dry base rock
5. Make 55g a full blown coral reef tank with inverts, but probably no fish (unless there are any that are not able to acquire ich).

Thanks for reading this! Nothing is set in stone yet, just some ideas. :-D

Last edited:
So you are sure it is ick now? I don't know if I would use copper in the tank even if you didn't go reef. It is possible to do hyposalinity in the dt but it's not usually recommended.I'm doing that now and it's working great. Do you have any pics of the affected fish?

I am pretty sure that it is ich. :( I will try to get some pictures once they all come out of hiding if I can. They are pretty quick, lol.

Thank you very much!

Yea I understand the plan. I just think if your going for broke changing your reef plans and using copper you can instead go for broke and hypo to dt and still have the reef after the treatment.

Thanks for the advice.

My biggest fear is having a reef setup with 10 fish, and then having ich break out. I would have to setup many QTs, and then catch the fish. So then the above thoughts came to mind, so I could still have lots of coral, and fish. :)

I am thinking of maybe making this big change tomorrow. :)

So to sum it all up, the 125g will be fish-only, and the 55g will be a really nice reef tank (probably no fish). :) That way if I get ich in the 125g, it will just be like a really large QT.

Does everything sound okay?

:thanks:

redsea said:
I am thinking of maybe making this big change tomorrow. :)

So to sum it all up, the 125g will be fish-only, and the 55g will be a really nice reef tank (probably no fish). :) That way if I get ich in the 125g, it will just be like a really large QT.

Does everything sound okay?

:thanks:

You would be better off getting a 75g tank then.

You would be better off getting a 75g tank then.

Yeah, I wish my 55g was a 75g. The bigger the better, lol. I guess I have to work with what I have though (I don't really have the money to buy another tank just yet).

Thanks for your input! :)

I am now thinking that I will try hypo. The thought of never being able to use this for a reef is a little scary, lol. The only thing is I still don't have a refractometer :hide:, can I still start hypo without one/do hypo without one? If you recommend that I purchase a refractometer, which one would you recommend? I hope there is one on BRS since the group buy is still going on, thanks!

redsea said:
I am now thinking that I will try hypo. The thought of never being able to use this for a reef is a little scary, lol. The only thing is I still don't have a refractometer :hide:, can I still start hypo without one/do hypo without one? If you recommend that I purchase a refractometer, which one would you recommend? I hope there is one on BRS since the group buy is still going on, thanks!

There is for around $35

Back
Top Bottom