redsea's 125g Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They look like the same unit but with more bulbs and cheaper. Not sure how that is possible but I think i would go with the 8 lamp one, PLUS they give you an extra set of bulbs.

Puzzling why the better fixture is cheaper....

They look like the same unit but with more bulbs and cheaper. Not sure how that is possible but I think i would go with the 8 lamp one, PLUS they give you an extra set of bulbs.

Puzzling why the better fixture is cheaper....

I know, I think it is puzzling too, but I certainly like it! :lol:. Thanks for posting!

What is the difference between a cpr "grated" overflow and a non "grated" one. Thanks.

BallinCrew10 said:
I was looking at those same fixtures wondering the same thing lol. Though the 8bulb I found didn't have the LED's(doesn't really matter to me), but it was also the 48" model.

I know, these fixtures look great! I think I will be getting the eight bulb one. :)

What is the difference between a cpr "grated" overflow and a non "grated" one. Thanks.

I think they mean the teeth on the tank side. I don't have any grates or teeth on mine but I do have a plastic screen that fits in the slot so that creatures and stuff can't get into the actual overflow.

carey said:
I think they mean the teeth on the tank side. I don't have any grates or teeth on mine but I do have a plastic screen that fits in the slot so that creatures and stuff can't get into the actual overflow.

Oh ok, so it isn't a bad thing, right. Just making sure as the one I am ordering has the grates. :)

I do fine with mine without the teeth on it, nothing gets by thats of any large size, it all gets caught in the screen, like flake food and floating algae that comes up from my sump or that grows in my tank. Either way and I think you'll be fine. :) They include the plastic screen by the way so you also will have that. AND in the back of the tank part of the overflow there are two bulkheads that move the water down to the sump, well, on mine I use the prefilter sponges that can catch any other debris if it happened to get by the screen. Some people use the sponges some dont' but I do and just change them out every few months. I get a long sponge and cut it in half and it runs me $7.

carey said:
I do fine with mine without the teeth on it, nothing gets by thats of any large size, it all gets caught in the screen, like flake food and floating algae that comes up from my sump or that grows in my tank. Either way and I think you'll be fine. :) They include the plastic screen by the way so you also will have that. AND in the back of the tank part of the overflow there are two bulkheads that move the water down to the sump, well, on mine I use the prefilter sponges that can catch any other debris if it happened to get by the screen. Some people use the sponges some dont' but I do and just change them out every few months. I get a long sponge and cut it in half and it runs me $7.

Awesome, thanks for the great advice!

Sure thing. If you want I can take some pictures of the setup if you like. :) I didn't know exactly what to expect when I ordered mine, seeing it on the computer screen can only show you so much detail.

carey said:
Sure thing. If you want I can take some pictures of the setup if you like. :) I didn't know exactly what to expect when I ordered mine, seeing it on the computer screen can only show you so much detail.

That would be fantastic! Thanks again!

The first two pictures show how the in tank side is, you can see the plastic screen, but no teeth, its a smooth surface. The nest shot is of the aqualifter pump, it sits right on top of the back of the overflow. This removes the air and water from the ledge so that it can flow freely to the back and then go down the pipes. The aqualifter has an intake side and an output side. The inout gets attached to a nipple on the top of the overflow and the output is an airline tube that runs right into the back section. The last picture is of the dual sponge prefilter. This will catch any large particles so that it doesnt run down the pipes into your sump. :)

Anything that does get by the first screen and the prefilter sponges will be caught up by the filter sock.

You might want to get a couple filter socks as backup so that you can wash the sock and still have the filter run with one. You'll need square socks, which is a pain but you can also kinda fit the round ones in too. I have about 8 socks, most of them I got from the last group buy, BRS has them for like $5 each.

img_1667489_0_3b0c8483ddfb43aef2815b199ffcd2a8.jpg

img_1667489_1_a2968305d9f70f4023d5b207e8f16c7f.jpg

img_1667489_2_663a22bb2a7eb70a3ee58f6a4eebb1dd.jpg

img_1667489_3_48055b0346c7d742685df5891ac94cd2.jpg

carey said:
The first two pictures show how the in tank side is, you can see the plastic screen, but no teeth, its a smooth surface. The nest shot is of the aqualifter pump, it sits right on top of the back of the overflow. This removes the air and water from the ledge so that it can flow freely to the back and then go down the pipes. The aqualifter has an intake side and an output side. The inout gets attached to a nipple on the top of the overflow and the output is an airline tube that runs right into the back section. The last picture is of the dual sponge prefilter. This will catch any large particles so that it doesnt run down the pipes into your sump. :)

Anything that does get by the first screen and the prefilter sponges will be caught up by the filter sock.

You might want to get a couple filter socks as backup so that you can wash the sock and still have the filter run with one. You'll need square socks, which is a pain but you can also kinda fit the round ones in too. I have about 8 socks, most of them I got from the last group buy, BRS has them for like $5 each.

Great! Thank you!

So now, I am hoping this will be delivered by the end on the week. Wishful thinking, lol.

aww that's too bad. I'm still waiting on my 55g to sell too. The waiting stinks. LOL I even lowered the price of mine $50 to try to get someone to take it. I have no idea when it will go so I'm stuck in limbo like you.

boardsurfer said:
Wow, thanks for the head's up, Redsea. I'm all over that first light! I'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger and purchase that light. I haven't seen that good a price...

Your welcome. :)

Back
Top Bottom