redsea's 125g Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm really happy for you! I hope you get started soon, or, well, finished soon. LOL

The plumbing stuff is pretty cheap, I bought like very connector they had for 3/4 and 1 inch and it all has come in handy. I'm thinking of redoing the plumbing on the 125g now!

I'm really happy for you! I hope you get started soon, or, well, finished soon. LOL

The plumbing stuff is pretty cheap, I bought like very connector they had for 3/4 and 1 inch and it all has come in handy. I'm thinking of redoing the plumbing on the 125g now!

Great!

I also forgot to include that I have gotten my heaters (2) that are rated for about 106 gallons each. I should be safe if one burns out for a little while. :)

Good news! Today I ordered my sump and my two Koralia 1400s. Now I just need some plumbing stuff. I am almost there! :)

Do you guys have any suggestions for Tangs? I already have my Blue Hippo, and I know when I set this up I awnt a Scopas, but I am now unsure of what my 3rd should be. I was originally planning on a Yellow, but I am scared that they will fight, what do you all think? Any suggestions are welcome! :)

Suggestions on other fish are welcome too!

I also ordered two aqualifters last night for my Cpr Overflow last night. :)

Do you all know how much tubing I will need and how thick it needs to be? I will only need tubing for my return line, and then for my overflow, right? My overflow has two holes, so I assume I will need two tubes going to the sump?

I was also wondering how much rock I should buy once I have all of my equipment setup, and a ballpark of how much it will cost.

Thanks so much!

Last edited:
You will need about 3 feet of airline tubing for the overflow. I have mine running back into the overflow, not the sump. I can take a picture if you want. :)

I would still lean towards the yellow tang, you can put him in last to avoid him picking on other fish. The scopas looks to be a delicate tang, at least from what i've seen of them lol. But a yellow would be great, at least in m,y opinion. :)

carey said:
You will need about 3 feet of airline tubing for the overflow. I have mine running back into the overflow, not the sump. I can take a picture if you want. :)

I would still lean towards the yellow tang, you can put him in last to avoid him picking on other fish. The scopas looks to be a delicate tang, at least from what i've seen of them lol. But a yellow would be great, at least in m,y opinion. :)

Thanks! Pictures are always good, lol. So, you think that I should get a Yellow instead of a Scopas, or get both of them?

As far as the live rock goes I was thinking I should just buy as much as I can afford lol, I want my cycle to go quickly. :)

Thanks so much!

I don't see why you can't get the scopas AND a yellow. I would either put all the tangs in at the same time or add the yellow last. As far as rock you should need at least 150lbs of it total, mixing live and base is up to you. :) and your wallet. lol

As far as the aqualifter, one input gets attached to the nipple on the top of the overflow, this will suck out all the air and create a siphon. The out line goes right into the overflow box in back. here are some pictures I took real quick for you.

img_1718299_0_bc0b7915c77489ce3ea862eda8b475e3.jpg

img_1718299_1_b149f05cc50eb3578b310d2b6c09d688.jpg

Hope they help.

I don't see why you can't get the scopas AND a yellow. I would either put all the tangs in at the same time or add the yellow last. As far as rock you should need at least 150lbs of it total, mixing live and base is up to you. :) and your wallet. lol

As far as the aqualifter, one input gets attached to the nipple on the top of the overflow, this will suck out all the air and create a siphon. The out line goes right into the overflow box in back. here are some pictures I took real quick for you.

img_1718403_0_bc0b7915c77489ce3ea862eda8b475e3.jpg

img_1718403_1_b149f05cc50eb3578b310d2b6c09d688.jpg

Hope they help.

Thanks very much! Very helpful!

So, from what I understand, multiple Mandarins can be kept together if they are female, right? If so, how many could I keep happily in a 125g? I was thinking maybe two? I don't know if that many would wipe out my copepod supply. Thanks everyone! :)

Last edited:
I have another question! Lol.

I was wondering if I have to get all 150lbs before I get fish, or can I slowly add on to the rock amount? Thanks

Sorry if all of this sounds confusing!

Last edited:
If you plan on adding just base rock, yep, you can add that after you have fish and anytime you want more rock. :-D

carey said:
If you plan on adding just base rock, yep, you can add that after you have fish and anytime you want more rock. :-D

Awesome, so I will just use my leftover money to buy all LR now, and then I will save up and add pieces of dry rock along the way. Thanks!

Just a few quick questions. :)

So, my two Koralias are schedualed for delivery today, but I am not sure that my other equipment will come (sump, aqualifters). C

1. Could I add live rock and sand today with just the powerheads running?

2. Since there wouldn't be anything in the tank when I put the water in, can I just put FW in the tank, and then mix the salt for it?

Thanks!

Yep, you can put all your stuff that you have in, the powerheads will be just fine. And yes, you can mix the salt in the tank this one time. I did it in my 90g :-D

Ok, just making sure. :)

For plumbing I will need two a 3ft long 3/4 inch airline tubing to bring the water to the sump from the overflow (because there are two holes on the bottom of the overflow).

Then I will need some tubing to bring it back up. Then I need a ball valve and a check valve.

What should I use to bring the water up again? I looked but I can't find it, lol.

Thanks!!

Can ich travel on LR? The reason I ask is because my LFS may have had a fish that had ich in the system where the LR is.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom