Reef lighting and water quality questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gloomisboy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a 46 gallon bow front FOWLR with 50 lb of live rock and 80 lbs of live sand / Reef octopus BC 2000 hob skimmer. I wasnt really thinking about setting up a reef when i first started but know that i getting more confident i am planning on getting some begginer specimens.

First question, I currently have the regular lighting that came with the tank. Looking in to getting a T5 fixture but not sure if I should get a 2 bulb 50/50 set up or 4 bulb set up. I know i should probably go for the larger unit but I dont want to over do it if i dont have to. Are there any suggestions on brands or models?

Second question, I dont have room for a refugium/ sump so aside from regular PCW's how can i keep pristine water conditons and keep nitrates and phos levels down? thinking of geting a reactor but thought i post here to see if there are other suggestions. I am still a noob and probably wont be jumping into a reef anytime soon but forcasting and planning things out at this point.

Thanks for the help in advance.

1) I would get the 4 bulb and make sure it`s a T5HO system. You should be OK with just about anything with that tank and that system.

2) A couple things you can do. One thing is to feed every other day. Been doing that for twelve yrs now and it`s one of the main reasons I dont have algea. The other thing is using RO/DI water to make sure you are not adding the excessive nutrients. Maybe a skimmer also as it will help to remove DOC`s that lead to nitrates and phosphates.

I have a 55 gallon reef with no sump, just a small HOB ( 2 gallon ) refuge, but no algae in it currently. I also have a skimmer rated for 55 gallons. Similar setup as you.. I do weekly 10% water changes, and as mentioned before feed every other day, just enough that the fish are eating it and it doesnt hit the bottom of the tank. I also vaccum the sand out in small areas at a tiime every other week. What as also helped me dramatically is having good flow ( I have 3 koralia 3's) and good rock work that allows flow and no dead spots.. its those hidden spots of deitrus that causes major problems quick.

I also agree with what Melosu said - use Ro/Di - that will help with excess nutrients and algae issues. You can also buy a phosphate reactor for pretty cheap, but it isnt needed usually.

With lighting, the more you're able to afford the better. a 4 bulb would be good if you're looking into T5's.

Back
Top Bottom