Reef parameters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And what size tank, filtration, etc

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Its a 110 DT with a sump running filter socks, carbon, gfo, protein skimmer, and a fuge with deep sand bed, rock rumble and a little cheato

Sounds like a nice set up, which Led are you using?

Some i got off of ebay, chinese knockoff, 165watt full spectrum they are great though really recommened for some that wants leds but dosent have hundreds to spend on ecotechs, we all know how cheap this hobby is thats why everyones doing it

Tried different intensity on them, and more flow?

Nothing seemed to make a difference? What salt do you mix with?

I must admit, I'm perplexed.. I just tried fluval salt for a 1/3rd water change, think I might stick with it for some time, mixed great, great numbers on the tests, but I'm really kind of amazed how much better everything in the tank looks. Just fuller and brighter.

check your phosphate level , my torch did that when my phosphates were high turned brown than it slowly started to disintegrate

as for calcium I'm right around 500 it's because of my salt mix (kent)
but the high level don't seem to bother anything so I don't mess with it

What kind of salt would you guys say is the best? As in parameters are consistent from batch to batch and everything would be perf or near perf levels? Or that youve seen best results with?

I'm impressed with the fluval right now, but it's new for me, I'll keep you posted on coral response etc as it goes

I like Red Sea coral pro that I'm using now but there really is no one best salt

Well my opinion best would be consistinsy, corals liking it, easy to mix, etc...

So i used a api phosphate test kit and its coming up 0?

Because it is a garbage test kit. You won't get an accurate reading off of an API test kit for important parameters like phosphate or calcium.
If you suspect phosphates, do a large waterchange with ro/di water so no additional phosphates are going into the system in this way. Then cut back on feeding, say 3 times a week minimally.
You may also want to look into your filtration. Protein skimmers are quite effective at removing issues from the water column before they turn into nitrates/phosphates.
That is a start at things for the time being so it doesn't turn into a 'throw money at the issue' situation.

I know they aint that accurate at phosphates, but i already use rodi and feed every 3rd day, and i do have a protein skimmer

Back
Top Bottom