Reef Ready

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

solo

Aquarium Advice Activist
HI how many of you has reef ready tank? And do you like it. Also can I buy all equipment one time for reef setup and just start with fwlr. I want all popular equipment, I had once thought off using canister filter for reef setup but here nitrate issue, anyone used them for a reef? Comments suggestions advice will be appreciated thank you in advance.

I am no expert... But... I've been down the road for the last year trying to go the "Cheaper" route. I bought a 30g. tank with a HOB AquaClear 70 filter, live rocks, live sand, and fish. Long story short, don't do it. And I would NEVER want to discourage you from going with the canister filter for a small tank. You can do that but your tank will never thrive. Been there done it, BUT!!!

2 nights ago I bought a New 65g. Deep Blue Pro, Reef ready tank and before that I ordered a Trigger Systems 30s sump. The setup cost me right at 400.00. That's tank and sump. I still probably like about 200.00 to get the hardware and plumbing... So 600.00 for a new sump and tank... If you go used then you can cut that price in half, 300.00... The initial setup is expensive for a Reef Ready Setup. But I really encourage you to consider #1, get the biggest tank you can afford/fit. #2 Save some money and go with a tank-sump-skimmer setup. You will save hundreds in the long run. I promise. I've wasted 500.00+ on my 30g instead of doing things the right way. But hey! Like I always say, it's up to you! :)

I also went the "cheap" route and took my friends 29 gallon with a hob filter for free. I though it would be the cheapest way to go. Now 6 months later I'm planning my upgrade to a 75 gallon, fortunately all I will have wasted money on is the lighting and a replacement for the old hob filter that didn't work. If I can sell those it won't be much loss and I'm gonna convert my 29 gallon into my sump on my new setup. I guess long story short, i didn't waste much money this way and did learn a ton but if I had bought the tank and everything I would be out more than I will be.

Thanks guys for advice and tip on your experience. I'm planning on skimmer gfo reactor sump/refugium heater in sump or dt thermometer digital PVC plumbing led lights. I know hobby is expensive but I feel if you setup once but right your wallet should be fine. Cause don't need to keep changing equipment stuff that isn't working or wrong for hobby. I bin freshwater hobby 15 years and what I learned is time and patience also good husbandry. So that's why I ask who likes reef ready tanks, and how many of you own reef ready tank. Mine I'm planning 6 feet 150 gallon I want to house tangs also reef safe fish thank you all for feed back.

You can get each part of your setup seperately, but i would drop the canister filter, it is like a nitrate factory and going to waste you lots time for cleaning it. I would go with a full sump with refrugium system.

HI, I have a 210 gallon aquarium that i bought reef ready. For my filtration I use multiple things such as two protein skimmers, a 55 gallon sump with live rock and bio balls in it for top of the line biological filtration, two 1,300 gph. pumps that have a small sponge filter attached to them, a vortex XL diatom filter, a marineland c-360 and c-530. With the canister filters what causes the nitrate spikes is the biological filter media such as bio balls and bio rings. I remove these and put the bio balls in the sump to create a circular motion in them so they collect as much bacteria as possible. I use the canisters strictly for mechanical and chemical filtration only. This resulted in fully balanced parameters. Some people think it is dumb to use a canister filter but it works for me and it works great for me. I have several great corals that look fantastic so I have no reason to believe that canisters are an issue. I do also use a phosphate reactor just in case of a spike. Filtration is such a complicated and difficult decision but we all make it through. I highly recommend canisters for mechanical and chemical use but not biological. I also recommend to diatom for crystal clear water and to remove floating bacteria and help with depleting ich.

Back
Top Bottom