Reef safe angel fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltwaterfish56

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is there any reef safe angelfish ? Or any cool colorful fish I feel like I need more color in my tank

Well it's hit or miss with them. A gamble, and I personally wouldn't want a 30 or $40 fish eating hundreds of dollars of coral. What fish do you have now? There are so many other options of vibrant colored fish. Wrasses are very colorful. And gobies.

I have had my coral beauty for a little over a month now and he has been great. I did some research before diving in and it seems like they are mostly ok with a small percentage of bad experiences. They are gorgeous fish and mine gives life to my tank. I just keep him well fed to help discourage any picking.

image-1236239255.jpg
Here is mine. :)

Angels are very risky with corals. They have been known to snap even years down the line. Your best bet is to get a "mostly reef safe" angel and have an SPS dominate tank. They tend to be more into meaty corals like LPS.

Some selections I like are:

Flame angel
Potters angel
Regal angel (large but mostly reef safe, SPS only for best luck)

Japanese swallow tail angels ARE reef safe

They all like to pick, but those mentioned rarely do polyp damage. If its a small coral or clam the picking can keep them from opening.

All of the pygmy angels (Centropyge.sp) are hit or miss.
Probably the most reef safe are Genicanthus.sp angels...if your have a big enough tank. I've had my Lamarck angel for almost 5 yrs now and he never touched any corals.
lamarck_1-22-12.jpg

I had one also, forgot about that she was excellent never bothered anything or anyone. Your fish is gorgeous capt.

Back
Top Bottom