reef saver rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bootz

Aquarium Advice Freak
any opinions on trying this out in a new aquarium? all i have been reading is about LR. i am curious what your opinion on this rock is.

Man made rock or Base rock is a prime alternative to live rock. The difference is that lv has not only bacteria but other life on it such as macroalgae and small reef animals. The difference is that you have to seed base rock and you don't haveto with LR, If you are going with base rock, then why not make your own and really save some money. There is a great link by "Greenmaster" on how to do this.

Last edited:
the beauty of man made rock is that it didn't come from the ocean.
no unwanted algae or critters on it. it will become "live" on it's own.

really because i was looking into this i was going to get rid of the CC cause people have cited so many problems. I was going to pick up some LS and some dry rock. and try to get back on track.

use dry sand as well. it will do the same job and become live on it's own. just rinse it well before adding or your tank will look like skim milk for a few days because of the dust.

yeah my CC did the same thing at the slightest movement my tank looks like milk again its just irritating.

right now i have 19 lbs of live rock in mine and its doing awesome, after a month i have corallina algae growth and different types of plant and organizm growth. i need a little bit more rock for caves and coral/anemone shelfs, so i plan on making my own or gettign base rock and watch that eventually become live :)

Back
Top Bottom