Reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

puffer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can some one tell me what constitutes a reef tank. I do not want to put corals in my tank but like the strange crabs and shrips, can i have them with out corals, does having inverts mean it is reef tank, I will also have fish. Can some one explain.

I have been told by different folks that when you put LR in a tank they consider it a reef tank and others when you add corals it makes it a reef tank.
IMOP its when you add corals to a tank it becomes a reef also inverts again IMOP do not make it a reef tank. But this is a hobby with many different oppions :mrgreen: Call it what ever type of tank you want, if it makes you happy and you enjoy it that is all that really matters.

I agree with everything EMS said, It's your own, but I think when you put a coral in the tank, its a reef.

Most reefs are known because of the many strains of coral and fish..I would say 2 lbs of LR per gal, and whether you like it or not, you're on your way to a reef.

This is how I see saltwater tanks as being classified.

Fish Only (FO) - Very simple name and thats what it is. A saltwater tank with just fish and a substrate of sand or crushed coral. Usually decorated with bleached coral skelitons.

Fish Only With Live Rock (FOWLR) - The only change in this style of tank aside from a fish only tank is the addition of live rocks. Usually FOWLR tanks also have coraline algae growth were as a Fish Only tank might not.

Reef - I would classify a reef tank to exist after adding corals to a FOWLR tank. Other items that come along with the reef upgrade would be higher output lights and possibly an increase in flow rate above what a FOWLR tank might have been configured with.

IMO if you put inverts in a tank it is a reef tank. Because some fish are considered non reef safe because they will eat shrimp, not just corals. For instance, the Harliquin Tusk fish, I would not consider him reef safe because he will eat shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom