Reef v FO tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

proff1949

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have just purchased a Marineland Reef Capable led lighting system with built in timer. It comes already programmed from the factory. So this leads my first question. Are the factory settings acceptable for everyday life in the aquarium or do they need to be tweeked for my specific situation?

Second question. I really want to change from a fish only set up to a reef tank. What is the difference between 'Reef salt" and "regular" aquarium salt and is it absolutely necessary? If necessary what is the impact on the animals I already have?

If anyone has any pointers that could help me get this new new system up and running I would definitely appreciate your comments and suggestions. :thanks:

Reef salt has more calcium ,magnesium for the corals to use to grow. Unfortunately the marine land reef capable led panels are not reef capable at all .

id say they are reef capable. but that would come with a few asterisks and stipulations. IMO the reef-capable marineland led setup would be best suited for a shallow tank. trying to penetrate 24+ with it may become an issue. it simply doesnt have the wattage to penetrate into deeper water

also ive heard from several established members here on AA that reef salt really isnt a necessity unless you are building up a fairly packed tankful of corals. '

Those lights can grow softies and low light lps but that's about it. I don't even think I'd attempt lps under it

Back
Top Bottom