Refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brianf40us

Aquarium Advice Activist
Will a refugium help get rid of some of the bad algae's in my tank such as cyno. I have been fighting it for a while and i was wondering if a refugium will help with the fight. I also have some diatoms growing will it help with these as well?

If the tank is under six months old it maybe going through a normal algae cycle and the algae will clear up on its own. Are you using RO water and do you have adequate circulation and a good protein skimmer?

If everything else is good then a refugium will use the nutrients that the other algaes use and eventually out compete it if you leave it lit 24/7

Just make sure the rest of the system is set up right

Having a refugium on your system is a very good idea. Growing macro algae in the fuge will deplete your system of excess nutrients before algae has a chance in the main display tank. I maintain a 20g refugium on my system. I'm a big advocate of having a fuge on a SW system. Nature knows best.

I agree that having a refuge is an excellent idea. It will use up alot of the excessive nutrients that fuel nuisance algeas.

Back
Top Bottom