Refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brianf40us

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone have a refugium that they would want to sell. Im looking for a HOB refugium for a 75gal tank but i cant see my self spending 200 dollars for one at my LFS if i can get a used one.

Are you using overflows and a sump for your tank now? What kind of filtration do you have?

You can make a fuge out of a 10 or 20g tank and save a lot of money. You can also check on Craigslist in your area for aquarium equipment.

No i do not use a sump. I have a HOB and a XP3 Canister, and a skimmer. I have my nitrates about 15 but cant seem to get them below 10. But it never goes above 20. I have a problem with diatoms and i am looking to get rid of them and i know a fuge would help.

I have a 10 gallon tank but im not to sure of how i would go about doing that.

If i put the 10 gallon below my main tank and ran a tube from the main tank to the 10 gallon being gravity fed then i would put a powerhead in the 10 gallon to pump the water back up into the main tank. Im afraid i wil have a flood doing it this way.

If you use the 10g or any other "under the tank" sump/fuge you will need an overflow box to get the water out of the tank and into the sump. You have the idea correct. I have a 120 that I use multiple sumps and the fuge I mentioned all are fed by dual overlfows on my tank. I've never had an issue with a flood from the overflows or how the tank is set up. IF you read thourgh my thread you will understand why I said from the overflows..

The return pump needs to match the overflow rate. Just offering an option to the HOB fuge. I'm not a fan of having things haning off the side of my tank.

What do you mean by an overflow box? Do you mean a powerhead. Because cant i just hook a tube to the end of a powerhead in my tank and run it into my fuge then put the same kind of powerhead in the fuge and run it back out into my main tank.

Also do i need a 10 gallon tank refugium to handle a 75 gallon tank. Can i settle with a 5 gallon tank and do this?

What do you mean if it will fill it? also some of these HOB fuges are less than 10 gallon and rated for very larg tanks. The only reason i ask is because it is a lot easier to conceal a 5 gallon tank with the type of setup i have.

OOps sorry bud i read you wrong hahahaha. Yeah a ten is going to be hard to fit under the tank.

Back
Top Bottom