Refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bosnianblood69

Aquarium Advice Freak
So ive always had this problem where when i buy cheato and put it in it ends up dieong off i just bought some more and its starting to die off again, running 1 6500k cfl bulb, should i run 2?? Are my nutrients that low? I doubt it, and i did run opposite from tank but now im running 24/7 and still have problem, any help would be appreciated thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Did you check your ammonia levels or nitrate levels are they being feed properly

Atleast thats what its coming up on the test kits

It might be that the nutrients are that low...or that there is other algae in the system simply out competing it. I've read about some thinking it has something to do with the alk level too, though not quite sure about that statement.
I've never been successful at keeping cheato to export my nutrients. I'm just letting the algae that is an issue in the display grow in the refugium to export nutrients instead.

So i just went and bought 2 brand new clamp ons and everything and im going to set them up to run 24/7 for now. If this doese t work idk what will. Im going to give up on chaeto if this doesnt work, and other macros i can try?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414011227.785850.jpgso its dieing off again, could it be that my phosphate levels are that low? I dont have any algae in my tank whats so ever but wanted to put the chaeto just in case there was any nutrients that it would suck up

Some tanks just can't grow chaeto. It's an unexplained phenomenon. I wouldn't worry about it. BTW, running the light 24/7 for chaeto is a waste. 10-12 hours is plenty. I would try some caulerpa. Any kind will do, and this is the stuff you can run 24/7 and it may benefit you.

Yes but what about the rumors of it going a sexual and destroying your tank?

And i have 2 clamp on cfls so theres no way its not getting enough light

There are no rumors about chaeto going sexual and destroying your tank, because it doesn't. Caulerpa can do this though, which is why I mentioned it may be worth while doing the 24 hour photo period if you change to it. As for caulerpa ruining your tank, I've had an occurrence at one point and it didn't kill a single thing, just clouded the tank a little.

+ 1 mr_X
The light have something to do with it, but I hear that the Cheato doesnot need too much light.
just to let you know I got a cpr hob fuge.
I was using a little led and got a little growing nothing crazy, a couple of months ago my Cheato start dying, I don't know if was the phosban reactor just installed or the flow too low....so I got some led bulbs on sale 5,000 k and that clip on like the picture above, change the pump to a maxi jet 600 (double the flow I use to have)and my Cheato is growing like crazy that I be able to sell it now....

I have a mag 24 circulating my tank so i think i have plenty of flow? Could it be that im running light too much? Should i take out the dead chaeto and run it on a timer? And i know chaeto doesn't go a sexual but i heard of chalerpa going a sexual

Yes you should cut the dead Cheato off and dispose, as the lights I use to run 24/7, now I run opposite than my main tank for ph purpose, I also have Cheato inside my biocube with no prob

Back
Top Bottom