Replacement water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigdon

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello

Could someone help me please. I want to make up some salt water to keep for emergencies and water changes. I know heat effects salt levels. If I mix the salt at 25 deg then let it cool and then warm it again before I add it to the tank would the salt level stay the same. Also is it ok to store water without it harming it

You can make water to have on hand, but always check the salinity/temp before adding it to your tank. Ideally, mix the water and have a heater/pump to keep it circ and at temp, ready to use at any time. Then use it for your pwc and then make more.

You can make water to have on hand, but always check the salinity/temp before adding it to your tank. Ideally, mix the water and have a heater/pump to keep it circ and at temp, ready to use at any time. Then use it for your pwc and then make more.

Once it's mixed can I store it cold and in a barrel or does it need to be kept heated and circulated

I read that storing RODI water is ok .
But read mixed salt water with RODI goes bad ?

Here's how I look at it. Rodi water is about 99-100% pure water, there's really nothing that could breakdown or dissipate in it.The salt mixes we use to make saltwater reintroduce trace elements into that water, so there is a chance that some of those elements could alter/breakdown/ dissipate given enough time sitting in a container. This is why I personally don't keep mixed sw on hand. I do keep rodi water but that's it

Back
Top Bottom