resealed tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarred Darque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ok, I had to tear down one tank to make room for my saltwater tank. I am moving the saltwater tankfrom the 5 gallon to my 10 gallon I just cleaned out. Due to the wear and tera on the old tank, I stripped out most of the silicone in the vertical corners (the visible areas) and reseealed the tank. That was yesterday.

Other than leak checking the tank, is there anything else I need to do prior to moving the live rock and CC to the 10 gallon later tonight?

Are you sure the silicone is ready? I thought (and may be wrong) they took 48 hours to cure.

No, that should be all you need to do.

I am all about saving $, but around here a 10g goes for like $8.99. It it really worth risking the potential disaster not to use a new tank?

and it costs like 3 bucks for a tube of silicone. plus, I did not seperate the glass panels.

plus, it is a 45 minutes drive to go get a 10 gallon for under 40 bucks. walmart only has the 10 gallon sets, with the heater and hood and everything else for like 39.99, and the on,ly real LFS is expensive as crap. :/ (I dont buy from them) so basically a new 10 gallon tank would cost me thet ank (20 bucks) plus the gas, 80 mile round trip at 15mpg, so jsut over 6 gallons at 2.5 a gallon :/ so that tank would cost me 35 bucks, so yeah it is worth it to reseal.

If the cure time is 48 hours, then I can wait another day. ok yeah the tube says cure time of 24 hours, and do not fill with water for 48 hours.

I see that this thread is a few months old, however in case somebody is searching for info on resealing tanks I would wait more like a week before you fill up a tank after it has been resealed.

I am sure it can be ok after 24hrs but you really want to be safe.

i agree tom i waited 24 hours to fill just to see if i had any leaks then drained it dry and now ill let it sit for days that way i didnt wait a week to see if i had a leak think it was ok to do that the silicon was really dry didnt put on heavy coat it doesnt take much to seal them up just have to make sure tank is real clean and get it in the seams and its good to go im happy with mine how it turned out for the first tank iv done guy at my pet shop told me go light not heavy on the silicon to much aint allways better

Back
Top Bottom