Restart Break trew period???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

canada911

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone, I have a question for you guys...

I have a 35 gallons, reef tank. No fish in it but alot of live rock.

These few month I wasnt there to keep in good state my aquarium, so it happens that the salinity dropped to 1.014 for a farely long period (2 month).

The quality of the water is good, but I was asking myself if I should consider redoing an other Break trew period since the salinity was incredibily low (Did this low salinity killed the good bacteria????)

I want to push in a fish... That is why I wanna know... (Obviously, now that I am back, the salinity is perfercty back to the normal)

What do I do? Personnaly I woulndt wait no more to put a fish, but if you guys think that the good bacteria are gone than I would wait. ??

Welcome to AA. :mrgreen: I believe sg has to drop closer to 1.009 before the good stuff starts dying off. You shoudl be fine but I would check the water very closley after adding your fish.

The bacteria on the rock should be fine. I would just start doing top-offs with aged SW unitl you get back up to your desired SG. Might want to hold off on fish until you get things back in order.
Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:

oups... I just did water test, My last message was stating that the water quality was perfect but infact I only tested it a couple of minutes ago I said that because it was OK 2 month ago during my last water test and that since that day I didnt putted nothing in the aquarium (there is only live rocks)... I mistaken, there is a problem I think:

-Salinity is now 1.025
-PH = 8.1
-phosphate = 0
-No2 = 0ppm
-No3 = 0 ppm
-Ammonia = 0.6 mg/L

The aquarium is 4 years old and I god a protein skimmer and alot of live rocks. I never saw any trace of ammonia in this aquarium befor today!
How come there is some NH3 even if I have no fish in it??? I have to mentione that I had algae problem last 2 month.
Where does that ammonia coming from? and how come there is no No2 and No3? (Is it because my skimmer takes the No out?) Or meaby the cycle is all *****d up??

I had a gobby that died (I guess) 3 month ago, he misteriously disapeared from the tank... Meaby that is the source of the ammonia? (bet even after 3 months??)

I first tought my tester was wrong, so I tested with fresh water and it notices no ammonia. So I guess the reading are good.

I would greatly appreciate your advice!

the ammonia could be coming from life on the rock. Just do some water changes and keep testing.

Ok, since I had a bit of ammoniac and NO nitrate and nitrite I tought that meaby my bacterial cycle was dead. So I putted some "Cycle" product from nutrafin in the aquarium yesterday, and I stoped the skimmer and filter to allow the spores to grow and open. Today (24H after) I looked at the water, it was like a bit white... I restarted the skimmer and filter and waited an hour to test again the water and here is the results:

-the ammoniac seems to be at the same level (meaby a bit lower)
-BUT: the Nitrate and nitrite has Jupped at higher Level!!!

So know I have plenty of nitrite and nitrate... whats the deal?? Is it effectivly because of the bacteries of the "cycle" that I putted yesterday that is restarting the nitrification of my aquarium?? Its the first time since a couple of years that I have nitrite and nitrate in this aquarium...

Can I assume that all the bacterial flore was dead and that since yesterday I restarted all the cycle??

Actually, I was going to use it to start a FW tank for my parents. Seems like the general consensus is that it's junk. Thanks.

Time to find clear ammonia...

Back
Top Bottom