Return pump question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Morangus

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so I'm looking at return pumps for my new system... I'm looking at either a 40B or 55 for the sump/fuge, not sure yet... Main DT is 120g with C2C overflow. Going to be running a herbie / bean without the 3rd emergency overflow. So primary drain will be 1 1/2" with a gate valve closer to the end in the sump to control flow, backup drain the will sit half inch higher is also 1 1/2" but I don't expect that to siphon full if at all like the first drain will. From my reading, the max flow at full siphon could be 2100gph from one pipe. Return will be 1" with a gate valve in between the pump and the DT. I'm looking at the mag drive pumps but I'm not familiar with any since this is my first setup... Are there any pros and cons between them all? I don't expect to run at full 2100gph siphon as I expect to adjust the gate valve to restrict flow to find the sweet spot to also control noise down the pipe.

Suggestions?

Also how does this translate to flow through the sump? I'm hearing the slower the better?

I would not use any valve to restrict drains. Drains should be wide open IMO.
I'd go with an 18 and use a ball valve at the outlet to choke it back if needed.
The flow through the sump has to be fast enough to efficiently feed all of your components that rely on water being fed to them, like your skimmer, and any reactors, but can't be too fast, unless it's like a tsunami in there and you are getting a lot of micro bubbles in the DT as a result.
Slow flow through the sump is completely unnecessary.

Thanks for the reply... Just confirming what I suspected. ;)

Back
Top Bottom