RO/DI help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spechty37

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello I just got a tds tester and tested my water and it's reading .18 ppm is that bad I know it should be 0

18 ppb is probably not much of an issue. 18 ppm would be. Are you sure it is .18? That is an awfully sensitive TDS meter.

It reads 0.18 ppm I just check it again so would that be good or bad

My bad I think I need glasses there is no point it reads 018 so I'm thinking that's bad lol

Yeah that's a problem. Your RODI system is not functioning properly. It should read zero. Time for new filters if they are old, a new membrane if more than a few years old or troubleshooting if it is new.

If this is just your tap water reading 18ppm isn't terrible. Many successful reef keepers have harder water than that. RODI works really well for reefs but isn't an absolute requirement.

Remember the tds meter has an input and an output I this is takes like 5 to 10 mind of water running through it until it has the correct value. So make sure your reading the output and not the input. If you didn't catch yourself and already made sure.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hello again well the 18ppm was out off my 55 gallon drum where I have my ro/di line running to it's hooked up to a float switch so when I take water out for top offs and water changes it automatically fills back up. I just took the line off and left the water run straight from my ro/di filters for about 15minutes and tested right from the source and I got a reading of only 3ppm so does that mean my storage container is contaminated. And is 3ppm bad

3 is not much of a problem, but if the system is working normally it should be 0 all the time. Probably time for a filter change or perhaps a membrane.

The style of setup you describe is really hard on membranes. You want to run your system for as long as possible. Rather than having the float switch turn the system back on every time you take any water out, it would be much better on the membrane to let the barrel get close to empty after several top offs, then turn the RODI system back on and let it fill it back up.

Yea that's what I'd suggest change the filters. How old are the ones you have now?

The ones I have now are about 4 or 5 months old I will change them and also empty my holding tank more before filling it like you suggested also do you think my holding tank is contaminated should I drain the 55g and clean it out and start over thank folks

I would go ahead and drain it. The rest of the plan sounds good. How old is the membrane? Going longer between refilling and running more gallons at a time will prolong membrane life...

Does your 55g have a lid to keep all the dust and stuff out. It can get contaminated if the water is stagnant for to long.

Back
Top Bottom