RO/DI not working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Serpentman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am at my wits end trying to figure this one out. I just bought a TDS meter to see how my RO/DI unit was working, which turns out, not for crap.

Manufacturer: Dvoneb Aqua 5 stage RO/DO
Unit Age: 1 month
Membrane: ?
Flush Valve: Yes (is in correct position)
Pressure: 58psi
Tap Water TDS: 220
After RO TDS (before DI): 86
After DI TDS: 109

I also tested the TDS meter with Distilled Water which read 000

Ironically, it tests higher after my DI unit? How can that be?

EDIT: I just found the problem. I was using a carbon filter inline. As soon as I removed it, levels dropped to 0.

I just found the problem. I was using a carbon filter inline. As soon as I removed it, levels dropped to 0.

Hey just curious was that carbon filter the one that goes in the clear canister like the micron filters or one that gets plumbed after the membrane supposedly to make the water taste better if you drink it?

Yeah I was debating on wheather or not to replace the parts on one I got second hand from my buddy, but come to find out the waste water port in the membrane case is broken and cannot produce waste water. Whats funny is all the ones I see in the pet stores dont have those filters to make the water taste better. I dont know. Good luck with that thing serpentman.

It was the one plumbed after the membrane. The other problem was the membrane wasn't sealing in its fixture. I found that this is a common problem with the cheap units. They use an inexpensive Chinese knockoff membrane. I used a ton of teflon tape to get it to sit properly.

Back
Top Bottom