RO/DI Water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettafanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
So i've started a ten gallon FOWLR tank. So far I only have two turbo snails and five hermit crabs, but I also plan on getting two cleaner shrimp, two peppermint shrimp, a firefish, and a clown goby. :dance:

Basically, I have been using tap water so far. I've been dechlorinating it with Instant Ocean dechlorinator and have been using their sea salt as well. But I've just started to figure out the whole ro/di water thing. Do you think I should switch? I am considering it because it sounds a lot better but I just want a last opinion. And if I do switch, should i buy ro/di water from my LFS or get my own ro/di unit? Thanks!

For that size tank I would also say get your water from the LFS. :)

You can get a small decent ro/di unit thats portable for like $66 if youre interested.

Okay so I should get the new water. Sounds good. Do I still have to dechlorinate water from my LFS? and is it already mixed with salt? Or do I have to do that stuff myself?

:thanks:

Most Lfs sell both just plain old ro di water and rodi premixed with salt. If I were you just buy the premixed . And no dechlorinator is not necessary with ro.

Great! That sounds simple enough. Thanks everyone :)

Just a question. Can I also just use tap or is that a big no no? I heard we shouldn't use it but if I can I'd like to.

I would buy both the RO/DI and the premixed for a tank that size. Use the RO/DI to top off water lost to evaporation because the salt doesnt evaporate and adding more saltwater would increase the salinity of the water. Use the premixed for your water changes.

Tap water will eventually cause algae in your tank. +1 on retired_AF post. rodi for top offs and rodi saltwater for water changes.

I agree that using rodi is a must. I will however suggest you buy one. There are two common disorders that occur in this hobby, one is MTS (multiple tank syndrome) the other is BTS(bigger tank syndrome) more than likely you will experience both especially with the restraint of a 10g tank. You will likely want a bigger tank in the near future so save your money buying rodi water and get a system. Even with a 10g the system will pay for its self in a year or less, plus you can drink it, people pay big money for bottled water!!!!

Yeah I think I'll get the system because I'm planning another tank for the future, a 29 gallon tank. It might be easier. Thanks to everyone who helped me out!

I just have a last question. Sorry if I'm a bother. When using a ro/di unit, do I use tap water to turn it into rodi water? I dont completely understand how they work.

Yes you hook up the tap to your ro unit . It takes out all the bad impurities and comes out the other end as rodi pure water.

Something to note with rodi water FYI. Once it comes out of the system it's pure, only store it in plastic bins, use only plastic or rubber tubing and never let it come in contact with metal especially copper. Being so pure it absorbs anything it can very readily and quickly. If you use for example a copper fitting on your top of system it will eat away at it and absorb it which goes into your tank and copper is BAAAAAAD. It may sound scary but most aquarium equipment is plastic which isn't an issue just something to keep in mind.

Something to note with rodi water FYI. Once it comes out of the system it's pure, only store it in plastic bins, use only plastic or rubber tubing and never let it come in contact with metal especially copper. Being so pure it absorbs anything it can very readily and quickly. If you use for example a copper fitting on your top of system it will eat away at it and absorb it which goes into your tank and copper is BAAAAAAD. It may sound scary but most aquarium equipment is plastic which isn't an issue just something to keep in mind.

That's very good to know thank you! I'm getting my rodi unit today, just in time for the first PWC. Just one last question though. This might've been answered before but I'm having a brain-dead moment right now lol. Do I have to dechlorinate rodi water or will it come out of the unit chlorine-free?

No dechlorinator needed. Just add salt for water changes and don't add anything for top offs due to evaporation.

I don't think I can get the unit until Monday, but I have to do a PWC on Sunday. Can I use tap water just this week until I can get them?

Unless you have some majorly bad water i would say wait the extra day to do your water change. A day isnt gonna hurt anything and the beneift if using the ro/di is great.

Alright I might actually be able to get it tomorrow too which is even better. Thank god I figured this out before i got into the habit of using tap. :p I'm gonna try really hard to get it tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom