Ro filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bianca90

Aquarium Advice Regular
Do I need an Ro filter? I have live rock, a canister filter, regular carbon filter, and a skimmer. Soon I will make a sump with a refigium.

You should be using RO/DI water to make water and to topoff, it doesn't go on the tank.

You can buy it at most fish shops. Depending on the size of your tank and how much you mind carrying water home from the fish shop it may or may not be worth it to run your own at home.

I wouldn't run a canister. If you do you must clean it out every month to prevent the debris from turning it into a nitrate factory.

You can buy RO and/or RO/DI filters in many places (including online) at reasonable prices. Mine came from ebay. In many ways it comes down to the size of your tank and access to commercially available RO water. I have one but will still on occasion grab some RO water (avgs 2-3TDS) at the local Walmart when I get lazy or want to do a larger water change on my 90g,

As for the canister, they are fine. They are great for running media in and adding extra flow to your tank. I wouldn't recommend running out and buying one BUT if you already have one.. Put it to good use. Take the foam filters out and load it up with either LR rubble or media (GFO, purigen, carbon, etc). Rinse it when you change the media. The foam is what traps the gunk and contributes to nitrate accumulation.

IMO

RODI water is generally considered a must have for a reef tank. If you have a small tank you can get away with buying RO or RODI water from the lfs or supermarket. A tds meter is a must to test the water you are getting.

Tap a/o well water contain too many minerals, most of which are unwanted in a reef tank. While the levels are safe for human consumption they could cause problems in a reef tank, like high nitrates, PO4, etc. That leads to algae problems that just won't go away.

Several of our sponsors sell the units. I have the Typhoon III from airwaterice which I connect to my kitchen sink when I need to make change or top off water.

Any media in there will trap debris. The other medias would be fine if you have a canister, but GFO requires a specific flow rate to work most efficiently, but it is better in a canister than just sitting on the bottom of a sump or something like that.

FYI if you are buying water get distilled, it is 0 TDS just like the best (not all) RO/DI. This may be the cheapest way for some people to get it.

I think you'll find bulk commercial RO water is much cheaper per gallon than bottled distilled. In my area, 32 vs 99 cents per gallon (Walmart/Culligen prices). I've never seen a commercial distilled water dispenser in my area. IMO 2-3 tds compared to 0 is a negligible difference. I don't even change my RO/DI media until it hits a consistent tds of 5 or more.

Regarding the canister media, anything will trap debris including your rock (sump or otherwise), macroalgae, overflow, etc. IMO it won't collect enough to be a nitrate issue if maintained at a reasonable level minues the mechanical filter media.

I recently bought a 6 stage of eBay for 85 bucks and I have been testing 0 since.....

RODI water is generally considered a must have for a reef tank. If you have a small tank you can get away with buying RO or RODI water from the lfs or supermarket. A tds meter is a must to test the water you are getting.

Tap a/o well water contain too many minerals, most of which are unwanted in a reef tank. While the levels are safe for human consumption they could cause problems in a reef tank, like high nitrates, PO4, etc. That leads to algae problems that just won't go away.

Several of our sponsors sell the units. I have the Typhoon III from airwaterice which I connect to my kitchen sink when I need to make change or top off water.

hate to butt in, but does the typhoon you have just hook up like the python water changer? Or is it connected below the sink? See i don't have room under there so a portable one would be excellent.

Thanks!

I hiik it up like you would a Python. I remove the faucet aerator and replace that with a garden faucet adapter and then connect the RODI adapter to that.

Do you know if its a specific model or will any of the typhoons hook up like that? Did you have tyo buy an additional kit or anything?

Any rodi unit will work. I bought the garden hose adapter for the faucet at a hardware store and the rodi adapter from awi though I have seen similar adapters offered elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Back
Top Bottom