Rock Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ndmartin0120

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently bought some used rock from CL. This rock has not been used in years so I washed it off and put it in an extra tank I have with just RO water. I have a filter going on the tank and am just wondering how long I should let it soak and if I should actually add salt to water or just keep it just plain water so I don't waste the salt? I have live stock in my current tank and don't want to take a chance on having any loses when I add the new rock to my tank. Thanks....

Used live rock is always a gamble. If you want to be a bit more sure that it's safe before putting it in your display tank you could add a heater, powerhead and salt to match your main tank, let it cycle and add a snail to the tank to see how it does. It's a long process but the other option is to drop it in the display and watch it. Your choice.

This rock is pure white and was pretty clean when I got it I just washed it off to be safe the man I bought it from said it had been sitting in his basement for years....why is it a gamble?

You never know if he sprayed for bugs near it, treated his tank with copper back when he was using it or something like that. Could be 100% fine but being cautious won't hurt.

Back
Top Bottom