Rock switch??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swimzebras

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a few small pieces of Very porous rock that I had in my old ten gal. freshwater. I'm wondering what I need to do to it so that I can put it safely into my sw tank? Bleach? Boil? Both? It's completely covered in freshwater algae.....?

I would do a Google search on "cooking the rock" Heard it is better than boiling but I lost the article I had on it earlier.

Ok.... But the whole cooking thing looks like what you do with old lr? Mines dry with fw algae... Should I just boil it?

I would go ahead and just boil it if you want to be safe. It will turn it into just plain old base rock which is fine. The only bad thing I ever really heard on boiling is that it could break the rock but I have boiled rock before and it never broke on me.

What do you think about putting it in a bucket of saltwater with a power head and heater? The freshwater algae will decompose, and you could cycle the bucket like a new tank, when you are done it will be live rock again.

This would prevent any Possible damage to the rock from heating it.

Oh! I didn't think of it that way and now it makes a lot more sense to me! Thanks for explaining it! :)

Back
Top Bottom