Rocks rocks and rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ColBen112

Aquarium Advice Activist
As you can imagine this is all about rocks. Ha I just got some rocks out of my brothers tank and it had hair algae on them so I didn't want to transfer it to my tank so I already boiled the rocks ha but my big concern is now that I should have all the algae killed how long and should I rinse then multiple times before I put them in my tank. As I do no want to create a ammonia spike thanks.

Well You may want to cure them in Saltwater in the dark in a separate container. I learned my lesson, no rocks without being in Saltwater for a month with water changes and water movement.

Never boil live rock, just imagine what would happen if there was a zoa on it? Well you dont have to, the owner at my lfs learned his lesson, he boiled 10lbs of rock because it had alot of hair algea on it like yours, turned out there was a head of zoa on it and when i boiled released poison into the air. He was in the hospital for 2 weeks. Put it in a bucket of SW with a powerhead and heater. Leave it for 2-4 weeks.

Never even would of though of that thanks that could of been bad lol next time if I have hair algae if I throw it I the bucket and let it sit with sw and a heater and power head with that hair algae go away after time

So do u think I can put them in the tank after doing some rinses with rodi water without a ammonia spike

That depends how much build up was on the rocks. I personally use a toothbrush to scrub algae off of any rocks and it works pretty well. Since this is rock coming from another tank, I would cure them in a separate container before adding them to an already running system.

Back
Top Bottom