royal gramma tank size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spencelee10

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi I'm just wondering what the actual minimum tank size for a royal gramma basslet is. I've read on other forums that they have been successfully kept in a 10 gallon or more commonly a 20 long. Live aquaria says 30 gallons so does anyone have a definitive answer? I have a 20 long and want an occ. Clown a yellow tail damsel a fire fish and the royal gramma. Can anyone help?

to much for that tank size, it can be done when they are small but once they get bigger i can't see them beign to happy

i have a royal gramma and an adult clown in my 20 long. he doesnt swim the entire length of the tank everyday but i see him do it once in a while. he does like to swim between the rocks/corals like a puzzle, he is doing great and looks happy. but i do feel a 20L would be the minimum size. 10g would be pushing it, i wouldnt advise it.

Oh well I have a 20 long I just picked up from petco. So would the gramma work with a clown and a yellow tail damsel

I have a royal gamma, clown and flasher wrasse in a 55 they use the full tank. Remember the smaller the tank the more aggression you will see and please remember damsels are aggressive and clowns are actually a damsel.

spencelee10 said:
Oh well I have a 20 long I just picked up from petco. So would the gramma work with a clown and a yellow tail damsel

Since you picked up the 20g I would say the two clownfish and the royal gramma, NO To the yellow tail damsel.

1 clown 1 firefish and the royal gramma? Is that fine or do the clowns need to b in pairs

Clowns don't need to be in pairs, IMO a clown and a firefish isn't a good combination since the firefish isn't aggressive enough to compete for food. It is always a good idea to pick out the stock list before selecting an aquarium. Remember to put your hardiest fish in first and the least aggressive in your stock list I would consider the clown the hardiest and the least aggressive would be the firefish so that can create problems as well when stocking.

Back
Top Bottom