Safely Testing the Water Current?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arget

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've got a 32g Biocube that'll be my first, and only, saltwater tank. Different corals need different currents, and lighting. The rocks will also change the currents. SO what's the best way to check it so I can plan where to place the coral for the best health?

Just let it run and see if you are seeing areas where detritus is building up aka dead spots. Honestly corals are pretty adaptable and as long as you aren’t blasting low flow corals with tons of flow they’ll do fine. Softies and lps even though they’re usually listed as lower flow corals still appreciate moderate flow over them. You usually get a grasp for where to put stuff as you go. Do you have a tank pic with the orientation of your power heads? That could help to narrow down areas as well.

I haven't even unboxed it yet. That'll happen this weekend. It's an AIO tank, and I plan on stocking it with a Pulsing Xenia, Zoas, Duncans, Candycanes, and GSPs. I have a powerhead if needed, but it's pretty strong.

None of those will need a lot of flow. The biocube stock flow may be fine but you might get dead spots even with the corals happy with the flow. I’d add a small power head no matter what but that’s just me. But yeah all those corals are super easy and should do fine anywhere in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom