Salinity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltyReedAndRy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
If I replace the same amount of water that I take out during water changes shouldn't my salinity stay the same? Mine seems to have risen.

You need to mix the water and let it mix in a bucket for at least a few hours (preferably over night) and make sure the salinity matches your tank. Also what are you using to measure salinity because swing arm hydrometers are notoriously unreliable

Oh yeah - it's the swing arm hydrometer. I guess should look at another measuring device? I buy NaturalSea (I think that's the name) as it's premixed and supposed to have all the best trace element?

If I replace the same amount of water that I take out during water changes shouldn't my salinity stay the same? Mine seems to have risen.

Are you sure you are putting back the same amount you are taking out? If your tank water is evaporating at all and you are refilling with salt water your salinity will rise. You could try topping off the tank with RODI or some other 0 TDS water before water changes and see if that helps.

You have to replace any evaporated water with non salt water and then you can replace gallon for gallon out vs in.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

All good advice. I'd suggest getting a refractometer instead of the hydrometer. They are junk due to air bubbles getting caught on the arm and not giving accurate readings.

Back
Top Bottom