Salinity changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tex

Aquarium Advice Freak
Wow, I'm really wondering how this works. My salinity was 1.0215 (refractometer verified) I thought this was a a bit low so I did a big PWC with my new ro/di aged and fully dissolved water and brought it up to 1.026. I picked the level based on Brendens advice that he keeps his between 1.025 an 1.026. My small coral frags didn't seem to like the rapid salinity change. Seems to to me I may have changed it too much too rapidly. I'm looking for suggestions on RATES of salinity change. I know (with exceptions) our saltwater wildlife (like humans) can tolerate wide tolerances as long as we do it SLOWLY.

Thoughts/comments?

When you say you brought it up to 1.026 I have to assume that the pwc water was much higher depending on the volume of water you changed out. How much water did you change out and what level was the pwc at?

I never raise my sg more then .002 per day to keep from shocking fish/inverts. A jump of .0045 especially done all at once will stress the whole tank. It could have been done in one day if you had done it in increments of .001 every 2 hours though.

The easiest way to increase your sg slowly is to add pre-mixed SW instead of fresh for top off.

Also just so you know lowering sg quickly is not stressful to fish but can be to inverts so any changes in the main tank with inverts should be done slowly.

IMO too much too fast.. Any fish or inverts in the tank? keep a eye on things and keep your fingers crossed. The corals should be fine, its the fish and inverts I would worry about.

Yes, I suspected too much too fast. The fish are a zebra damsel, blue damsel, yellow spot goby and a royal gramma. The damsels could live in a toilet bowl and it wouldn't hurt my feelings if they perished quietly, mean little bastards. They are too fast to catch. The coral frags I have are quite minimal and include a small candy cane, some pulsating zenia and a small leather.

I'd guess I changed out 30% of a 100 gallon. I have been very dilligent about using fully aerated and completely salt dissolved ro/di water.

Update, the corals seem to have rebounded and the fish are fine. 8) but my SG is still at 1.026 I'll will be more prudent on the next pwc and closely monitor salinity changes to a much slower rate.

What do YOU keep you salinity at?

Thanks guys and gals. I really appreciate your thought and replies.

Robert

1.023- 1.026 is fine for a reef tank. Keeping it stable is the important thing. Mix water for around 24 hrs before change and bring the temp up to match tank and the salinity should match the tank also or if the tank is a little high from water evaporation you want a little lower salinity to bring it back down a little.. Big fast swings is what can hurt the tank. Just watch the fish it could take a few days for you too see an impact on them, 3-5 days after a fast swing has been what I have seen before.. This has happened to me in the past when I acclimated a fish too fast from low salinity to a higher one.
I run around 1.025 - 1.025.5

Mine's at 1.024-1.025 between top off. Agree about watching them closely, if you have a QT and you notice any stress you can put them in a lower sg to minimize it. That is if you can catch them :p

1.025 (y) Glad things seem OK. Way to fast on the salinity increase. I would have spread it out over 2 days. The lower salinity is fine for fish but your coral and inverts will thank you for the increase. Plus it is much easier to maintain PH, Alk, CA etc when at the correct salinity. For the record. Fish can handle a drop of that magnitude much easier than a increase.

You guys are fantastic!!! I deeply and heartfelt appreciate the time and effort from the pro's to reply to my question. I think I'll target for a 1.025 SG and be very very very careful with the water changes so as not to upset the animals. Thanks again! :D

Back
Top Bottom