Salinity formula??? Help lol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skifflexie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Quick newbie question,
I have made up a 5 gallon bucket of water, it's a little too high in salinity its 1.026 and I need it to be 1.022, is there a formula to use to know how much water to add in order to achieve my desired salinity? I've already done a couple gallon water change in my 10g and I just need this water to match my current salinity in my tank before adding it.

I've found a few calculators online, but they for calculating water change based on the salinity being in the tank, not in the prepared water, if that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

1 gal of water will fix it.

Math love it.

Fresh is 1 and your mixed is 1.026. Ignore the 1 as it's the supliferous number. Heck, ignore the decimals too.
Now 26 divided by 5 gallons is about 5. So removing 1 gal mixed and adding 1 gal fresh willpower by about 5, giving about 1.021. But if you leave the water there and just add about a gal fresh, bingo. And, like they said, try it and see. Always best to err on the high side as lowering salinity is faster than adding more salt and redissolving it.

1 gal of water will fix it.

Math love it.

Fresh is 1 and your mixed is 1.026. Ignore the 1 as it's the supliferous number. Heck, ignore the decimals too.
Now 26 divided by 5 gallons is about 5. So removing 1 gal mixed and adding 1 gal fresh willpower by about 5, giving about 1.021. But if you leave the water there and just add about a gal fresh, bingo. And, like they said, try it and see. Always best to err on the high side as lowering salinity is faster than adding more salt and redissolving it.

Honestly, that made absolutely no sense haha!

Just simply add some fresh water to the mix, like 1/3 the gallon and test it and see where it is. This will help you get a good feel of mixing your water together.
With that said, there isn't anything wrong with 1.026.

1.026 is perfect that is the salinity of natural sea water

Or more correctly 1.026 is the salinity of tropical sea water where most of our fish come from. And therefor what we should aim for.
Salinity varies greatly around the world and is below 1.023 where I live.

Thanks guys. I always feel like I'm messing it up. Is there a good range for salinity?

Thanks guys. I always feel like I'm messing it up. Is there a good range for salinity?

Aim for 1.024-1.026. A refractometer will give you precise readings and be very helpful. Usually the salt mix will tell you how many cups per gallon it'll take to make different salinities.

The salt mix only says 1/2 cup salt per gallon of water to make 1.022 salinity

Back
Top Bottom