salinity question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ncscuba

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I set up my 45g FOWLR tank this weekend and have started the cycling process. Question that I have is I followed the instructions on the salt mix of adding 1/2 cup of salt per gallon and added RO water to the tank 2 gallons at a time. My hydrometer seems to be reading very low. I even added more salt trying to get the salinity level to raise and it doesn't seem to be doing anything. I moved the hydrometer from one side of the tank to the other. Refilled it a couple times and it reads the same level.

Any suggestions?

image.jpg

So I set up my 45g FOWLR tank this weekend and have started the cycling process. Question that I have is I followed the instructions on the salt mix of adding 1/2 cup of salt per gallon and added RO water to the tank 2 gallons at a time. My hydrometer seems to be reading very low. I even added more salt trying to get the salinity level to raise and it doesn't seem to be doing anything. I moved the hydrometer from one side of the tank to the other. Refilled it a couple times and it reads the same level.

Any suggestions?

View attachment 254067
Some online reviews suggest that it may be getting stuck or simply be not working correctly. Have you tried measuring the salinity of tap water or RO water to see if it moves?

For starters, which brand salt are you using ? I don't recall whose is whose in the mix ratio of manufacturers. And as I understand, you used all RO to complete the mix/fill process ? It still appears a little cloudy from adding the water so maybe giving it a few hours to settle will help as well.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

Back
Top Bottom