Salt mixing question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SCFatz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
When mixing salt water....how far apart can the SG between the new water and the tank water?I realize the the same SG would be perfect...but other then perfect,whats considered ok if anything?

It shouldn’t be that hard to match it, just add small increments of salt at a time, and if you go over then small amounts of fw. I keep my tank at 1.023 and I would stop mixing at 1.022 ½. I don’t know if this is right or not. Also definitely match temp exactly.
JMO HTH
Mike

You want to match temp, sg and some even match ph. All are very important to match. It is not hard at all and cutting corners here can cause problems in the tank.. Swings in any can cause stress on the fish and corals. Get a refractometer to make sure SG matches and use a heater in the new water.

I reduced my salinity from 1.024 to 1.020, over a two month period. I just did a little less salinity in my mixed water. If you are off by a little bit...Why are you changing it? Just curious.

As seaham said a refractometer ($39.99 on sale) is your best bet for dead on accuracy. Floating hydrometers and swing arm meters are fine for FO but are prone to giving less the accurate readings due too improper calibration or physical damage.

If you want to reduce your sg because it’s too high or low I wouldn’t do it more then .002 per 12 hours i.e. 1.025 to 1.023 or 1.023 to 1.025.

Easiest way is to remove 5% SW and replace with FW every 12 hours to reduce or top off with SW each day instead of FW to increase till you reach the appropriate levels.

IMO ph/sg/temp matching is most critical if you have inverts (starfish being most sensitive). If fish only then minor variations no greater then .002 in sg, .3 in ph, or 3 degrees in temp will not have an adverse affect.

Variations greater then those can cause osmotic shock and impair some stock to the point of death which is why it’s important to not only mix properly with a ph/pump for 24+ hours but also to try to match as closely as possible.

The size of the pwc is important to consider when matching as well since being slightly off when doing a 10% pwc is not going to affect the overall parameters as much as doing a 50% pwc for example. That is also why most advocate doing smaller weekly pwc versus large monthly pwc to reduce the risk of shocking your stock.

When mixing most artificial salt they advise ½ a cup per gal which usually gives you a sg around 1.022. Follow the directions and after 2 hours check your sg and adjust accordingly. If you consistently mix the same amount each time you will learn the exact amount of salt within .002 you need to add without having to make any radical adjustments.

Back
Top Bottom