Salt or Fresh Water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Galligak

Aquarium Advice Addict
I heard some responds from some freshwater people so I decided to let the saltwater people have their say:

So I have a 12 gallon tank that I was going to use for a dwarf gourami and some galaxy rasboras but I've been looking around on here at some saltwater stuff... I know that saltwater aquariums are hard to take care of and cost a lot but it would be a while before I got this tank running for a freshwater aquarium and probably could get enough money. Please give me your opinion on whether or not I should stay safe with freshwater aquariums or try something new with a saltwater aquarium...:thanks: thanks a lot guys:D
also I was thinking about getting a clown or maybe two in the tank if I did do saltwater- any opinions on whether or not to do that? Also are there anymore ideas for the tank as well?

I wouldn't use a 12 gallon for salt.

I wouldn't use a 12 gallon for salt.

So I should just stick with freshwater until I get another, bigger tank and not even attempt a nano tank? Okay, I'll take that in for opinion but I want a few more opinions from others, not that I don't value yours. Thanks for your input cls8s:thanks:

Well its not that stuff won't fit. It's that the water quality is harder to maintain in a smaller tank and freshwater fish don't seem to care as much as saltwater fish.

yeah that's what I've heard a lot. So I guess that I'm back to my dwarf gourami and galaxy rasboras for a while:) Hopefully a bigger tank is in my future;) -for easiness of course!

Petco is doing a $1 a gallon sale right now. A 29 gallon would be a good starter salt, but always get the biggest you can afford.

Thats what I thought:). I'm still not sure whether or not to do saltwater on my 55 gallon because that would be A LOT of work and I'm not sure if I'm there yet, that's why I wanted to do my 12 gal saltwater then go from there (backwards of what you're suppose to do but hey I'm not normal;) )

You could def do a nano salt with the 12g...but you'd have to and I mean really have to, be diligent with your pwc's and parameter checks, although the bigger the tank is the easier it is to manage water quality, the necessary equpiment to run it gets expensive. I'd say make you decision on whether or not yure willing to give it 110 %. If you are, go salt

Okay I've read a little about sumps what exactly are they and would i need one for the 55 gal? And what are so examples of fish I could put in there?

Also I would defiantly put 150% into the tank, I would feel horrible if the fish weren't happy and healthy!

If you can make/get a sump, it would help, although my 75g uses a HOB filter rated for 90g and is doing perfectly. There are plenty of fish that fit in a 55. You should check liveaquaria.com.

Okay if I can spend a little more on a filter and skip the sump that would be wonderful because I won't have the room! Also I will look there soon! Can't wait to get started!

Also this just came up in my little head, what all exactly am I going to need for the tank?
I have so far(in my head):
Tank
Salt
Sand
Fish
Filter
Rock...

What else and what does it do? I'm a complete idiot when it comes to saltwater, I mean I've read stuff but don't understand it. Please give simple to understand answers!

Arg this also just came up in my head! Can I only have a little live rock and use some filter until I get more live rock or will that not work?

You really don't even need live rock, but it makes things easier. Also, you need flow so some sort of powerheads are suggested, but not necessary.

Okay thanks! So is that about everything that I absolutely need for a basic saltwater tank?

a heater
hydrometer
test kit
lights (optional at this point)
a few buckets or totes for water changes

Back
Top Bottom