salt water and live sand in...now what???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasdivegal

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have my new tank set up and running. Readings on salt 1.022 pH 8.2 NO3= 0 NO2=0 NH4=0 What's next???

Tank is clear..except I have white clouds every once in a while coming from pump. What is that, air or salt or debris?

Ok...#1: Can I add live rock now or wait? Do I put all of it now...I only had enough for 40 lbs. or piece by piece?

#2...Do I add live rock now or use a shrimp to help cycle?

#3...what exactly am I looking for to happen with my readings?

Thanks for the help!

you should have added the rock then sand then water...

as for your "clouds" can be water...

Add your rock now then your shrimp...
unless it's uncured rock, then you may not need the shrimp.
Where did you get your rock?

if the clouds are little "bursts" coming from the pump then it's pickup up air bubbles, and when the bubbles get sucked into the pump they're smashed into tiny tiny bubbles and thats where that's coming from. Is your pump internal or external? If it's external you may have a small pinhole leaks in the plumbing somewhere before the pump. If the pump is internal then as long as it's not sucking in air from the surface it probably just had a few bubbles stuck in it when you put it in the tank and they'll go away shortly.

I'll agree with XXFireFighter, your LR will add the amonia you need for your cycle if it is not cured LR. If it is cured, then you might still need to add a shrimp to cycle. I would suggest adding all the LR you want at once as it is a lot more work and a delicate process to add additional LR to an already established and inhabbited tank.

You readings should go like this:
1) Ammonia should rise sharply.
2) Nitrites should then begin to rise.
3) Ammonia should begin to fall
4) Nitrates should begin to rise as ammonia disappears
5) Nitrates will continue to climb as nitrites fall and dissapear
6) when Ammonia and Nitrite are gone your cycle is "finished" as Nitrates are very slow to disappear

many tanks continue to have Nitrates throughout their life. When you've reached step 6 do a 20% water change and if you used a shrimp you can remove it if you have fish to add to the tank. If you dont have fish yet, IMO, leave it in the tank so it continues to provide ammonia to feed the bacteria you just worked to create.

When you reach stage 5, set up a QT tank and get the fish you want to add to your tank and put them in the QT (Quarantines) this way when you tank is ready after stage 6, your fish have already been QT'd and you can add them right to the tank (after Acclimation of course)

PS:

XXFireFIghter: Shouldn't you be doing something about that fire blazing behind you? :wink:

Thanks guys! That is exactly what I needed!

I have the LR still at the LFS. It is already cured, still in thier curing tank. How many pounds of LR should I have for a 75 gallon tank? I know I need more...but if it is a hard process to add later...then I should just get now??

Am I going to have any troubles now that the sand is in before the rock? Do I need to becareful of water flow under the rock? If so what do you suggest?

if your going for a reef tank and the LR and LS will be your primary water filtration then most suggest about 1.5 x tank volume for LR so a 75 gallon I would go with about 110 pounds, give or take. If your LR is coming from a LFS and is well cured (it should not smell really fishy or sulfuric but like a fresh handfull of dirt from your moms garden :wink: ) then you may not actualy have a problem adding it later on. The main issue most run into adding LR to an established tank is that the rock needs to be cured, if it's not it can cause a major ammonia spike (which can be devistating to an established tank)

I wouldn't worry about already having the sand in the tank. When you aquascape, just be sure that your LR is placed firmly down into the sand, try and bury at least an inch of the rock into the sand. I wouldn't worry about specifically getting water flow under the rock, as long as you have enough water flow in general (you'll want about 750 GPH in total) you'll be alright.

Back
Top Bottom