Salt Water...here I come?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SWGuppie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, I've decided to take the plunge into SW tanks...I've had a FW fish tank since I was a kid, and now I want to get into Salt Water. I've always admired from a far, but now I want to get into it, and ever since i've found this awesome community i've been starting to plan. I've bought a few books so far, and am reading them, but i'm still completely lost! I would like to get some help on what would be a good starter, I kind of need to know everything...I was planning on getting a 29 g. Tank because I heard the bigger the tank the easier it is? I need to know everything that I need to get, and how to set it up, i'm helpless, and feel silly for asking such simple questions, but I know you all will help! So Basically, tell me basic information on things a need, and what they do for a 29 Gallon tank...my funds are fairly good, but I don't want to spend more than what is needed! I hope to have a Tank with fish and some corals maybe...All help is greatly appreciated!!!

before much time goes by youll wish you had a larger tank with built in overflows (called a reef ready tank).

Do lots of research before you buy anything there is so much to consider, I have been doing it for a little over one year and wish I knew then what I know now.

In sw the cost of the tank will be a small portion of the final product when you consider filtration, skimmer, possible lr. lighting, etc. Considering you can get a 75g with stand for ~ $250 if you shop around. It is recommended to start sw with a 55g + for stability and so you don't out grow it quickly, and you will be very limited on what kind of fish you can get with a 29 - everyone will advise against this for a beginner unless you absolutely don't have the room for larger.

i just got a 45g tank setup and already I wish it were larger, but I only had a tiny amount of space for it, for now
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=16644&start=20&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

If you don't already have them add these two books to your must reading list:
The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert M. Fenner
The New Marine Aquarium by Michael S. Paletta
Links to purchase from Amazon can be found on the Book Library page.

I agree that a 29 is probably on the small side for beggining. Get the largest tank you can afford to start. Don't forget to add the cost of all the extras you need.
Forget most of what you know from FW. SW if very different.

Keep reading, develop a plan, then post if here for comment. You'll get good advice. If you really want to have corals in your tank lighting is going to be a big component and a wet/dry is not.

guppy, I just did an article on www.reef-aquarium.net on how to start a tank. It briefly touches on all the major concerns and issues to address. It should be posted either today or tomorrow. Check it out and let me know what you think....please. If anything is unclear I can tweak it. Just look under educational links.

Squishy

WOW! Thankyou everyone so much for all the help...So i'm guessing I might need a bigger tank, but thats cool! I have tons of room, I just thought that the smaller I start off the easier it might've been, but I guess not..hmmm oh well, Squishy, i'm going to read your article right now and let you know! Overall i've been reading lots of stuff, and I get more and more excited as each day arrives!

--I've read it and it is a great article! it explained a lot of things, however, I think some pictures and examples would be a wonderful idea! Overall that did clear up lots of things for me!!--

However, can someone explain the whole filtration thing both mechanical and biological...i'm still a little confused with it in general...not how it works but pros and cons to both and which I should rely more on...

I just located another article that we will be posting on the site that explains how the bacteria works. its really pretty simple.

Biological:
Its pretty simple. Biological filtration is the natural filtration that your tank wants to set up given the proper environment. In other words, your tank wants to filter its self.

Fish produce waste...bacteria break it down and start the "cycle."
----Ammonia to Nitrites to Nitrates to nitrogen gas that is released into the air.

Mechanical is anything electrical (with a few exceptions). It uses artificial means of pulling DOCs (dissolved organic compounds) and other particles out of the water. It can be a filter cartridge or a skimmer.

Actually I just check and the article has been added to the page. Look under "Educational resources" and DSB
http://www.reef-aquarium.net/
That should get you there.

Thanks for the input on my article. I had already thought about putting some pics in. Im sure that would help a lot for the novice. I'll try to have those on there w/i the next week.

Squishy

sounds good, Squishy, and thanks once again for all the help! I have my possible supplies listed in 55 gal tank with sump...my supplies right? forum. Thanks again for everything!

Back
Top Bottom