Salts.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mansiz

Aquarium Advice Freak
If I use for example "x" brand salt for my tank at 1st, meaning I uses this kind of salt for setting up the tank, and I also uses it to do water changes for few months, and now I had another brand, for example brand "y", is it advisable to use it to do water changes? Or I should not mix salt brand?

Different salt brands are ok to interchange. Some have more additives than others but changing brands should not have any adverse affect on your system.

i agree with wally. i used instant ocean to set my tank up, but have used red sea for water changes since without any problems- well at least problems that would be a result of salt or its additives! HTH

I had the same question. Before knowing the differences in salt brands, I purchased the 200 gal Instant Ocean mix. The LFS charged me 69.99 + tax 8O :evil: . Then I found out that it contained heavy metals :evil: . I did not want to put it into my tank, so over 70 bucks down the drain. Now I guess, I can start my cycle with Instant Ocean and after it is all consumed, I will change brands.

Paul.

I can assure you that plently of people use IO and have no problems, I would get the use out of your bucket. I use reefcrystals which is and IO product for my reef and im happy with the results. Good luck

As everyone else said, typically switching salt brands isn't a huge deal. I wouldn't mix the two salts together when making up your water change water however. Just do your water change like normal but use the new salt.

I had the same question. Before knowing the differences in salt brands, I purchased the 200 gal Instant Ocean mix. The LFS charged me 69.99 + tax . Then I found out that it contained heavy metals . I did not want to put it into my tank, so over 70 bucks down the drain. Now I guess, I can start my cycle with Instant Ocean and after it is all consumed, I will change brands.

All salt mixes are going to have some degree of "garbage" in them. This is because NSW has never been exactly duplicated no matter what the manufacturer's claim. I would use the IO bucket you paid for and if you don't care for it, switch to something else after you use it up. Hate to see you throw money out the window.

I used IO when I first set up my tank. I didn't care for it because of the chronically low Alk and Ca levels. I switched to Reef Crystals hoping that it would be better, but wrong again!! I just purchased a bucket of Oceanic with hopes that the Alk and Ca level in that will be higher. From what I have been hearing, Oceanic is supposed to be one of the "best" salts around. Who knows... :roll:

Once your tank matures and contains differing types of corals, I would not swap salts so quickly. It is best to acclimate the tank to the new salts over a period of time. Instead of changing the regular amount of water, I would reduce it by half for the first 4-6 weeks doing a weekly water swap. This allow the corals and such to adjust slowly to the new chemistry of the salt chosen. There are many that have switched salts without acclimating and the result is many dead corals. Especially with SPS's.

Cheers
Steve

Hey Biggen,

I am about to run out of IO. I have also heard great things about the Oceanic brand. Have you had a chance to mix some up yet and test for the Ca and Alk?

Hey Biggen,

I am about to run out of IO. I have also heard great things about the Oceanic brand. Have you had a chance to mix some up yet and test for the Ca and Alk?

I will be mixing up my first batch tomorrow (Thursday) morning so I can do a change on Friday. I'll post those results either tomorrow or the next day.

However it turns out, I look at it this way. It can only be better than IO and Reef Crystals...

well i have been useing coralife on my tank for a few months now. with the salt at 35ppm i tested the ca and it came back 450 the ph 8.3 no3 no2 all 0 po4 i really cant tell becasue i am useing tap water but i know that when i did test the tank before usesing any po4 removers it was like .3 or some thing really low.and it seems to be a vary cheap salty in my lfs i payed like $31 after tax for 150 gal worth

Back
Top Bottom