Saltwater aquarium cycling help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dominick0524

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have been running my 29 gallon saltwater fish tank for about 10 days and my ammonia is still very high hitting 8.0ppm and my nitrates hitting 0.25ppm and was wondering should I add a piece of cocktail shrimp to help cycle my fish tank faster?

How much rock and sand are in the system? More ammonia isn't going to make things any better. If the ammonia was dosed too high, it is going to take time for the process to go through the motions.

I didn't use anything for my ammonia other than a bacteria supplement that I believe won't affect the ammonia and I have 50lbs of dry rock and 30lbs of live sand with 2 800 gph powerheads

Something is decaying in the system to produce ammonia or there is an error in the testing.
You will need to provide an ammonia source to cycle the tank. I'm a fan of the shrimp method personally.

I don't believe there is an error in my testing as I have used the test kit plenty of times before. And don't believe anything is decaying but will make sure to take a look around the rock and see if anything is around it

Update on my parameters my ammonia has not yet changed staying 8.0ppm but my nitrate have seen to gone up hitting around 1.5-2.0ppm

Back
Top Bottom