Saltwater question??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zao

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey people!
All right, this person at work came up to me lastnight at work and she had a question for me about her saltwater aquarium. I have not messed with saltwater that much, I just been messing around with freshwater stuff. She told me that she has a 50Gal saltwater aquarium, and the salinity is 1.020. She wants to know how much salt to add to change it to 1.023.

I have not told her any answer yet, and I wanted to ask you guys before I decided to give out an answer. I was thinking just add little amounts up salt, until it reads 1.023. Also is it going to make that much of a difference if it is off by .003??? I know that in freshwater for ph, if it is a little high or a little below 7.0, it will not make that much different. So I didn't know if it had the same concept in saltwater or not.

Thanks for reading
Andy

She should do 2 water changes of 20% 2 or 3 days apart with water that has been mixed to 1.028-1.030. That will bring her pretty close. You don't want to go up by any more than .002 a day. If this is a tank without fish how much salt she adds has a lot to do with how much water is in her system. Without fish she could add 2 cups of salt every 4 hours until her salinity is up in range (unless she has a 20g or less aquarium, then she should only add 1/2 c every 4 hrs).

HTH.

What is it like 1/4 cup or so of salt per gallon for 1.024 SG rating (This shot mine off the charts using it as the bag recommended)

Back
Top Bottom