Saltwater Snails dying after acclimation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leemcd.fire

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have recently bought some saltwater snails from a pet store and they are dying after acclimation(first batch acclimated for 2 hours, second batch acclimated for 4 hours did'nt help), within 24 hours. I also bought two sabae clowns and they are doing great (the snails were from the same tank as the fish). Water levels are great, salinity is at 1.026 and steady it is a 180 gallon reef tank and has been up for over two months.

Never count a snail out. What one day looks like a dead snail, the next will be scurrying up your glass. Start them off right side up. FWIW (and I'm sure others will disagree), I've never acclimated a snail or hermit in the 7+ years I've been doing this. Float for temperature and in-ya-go.

Never count a snail out. What one day looks like a dead snail, the next will be scurrying up your glass. Start them off right side up. FWIW (and I'm sure others will disagree), I've never acclimated a snail or hermit in the 7+ years I've been doing this. Float for temperature and in-ya-go.

I would wait for at least 3 or 4 days before i would say the snail is dead. I also do a short acclimation time. Floating, a little water added after temps equalize and them in they go.

Ok i will keep waiting, I know I need to be patient. Is it best to place them on the live rock or in the sand. I put them on the rock at the bottom of the tank(since that is were they were at the store). Thanks.

I float them and don't worry about where they go when I drop them in, if they are astera snails I make sure they are right side up but most fall that way anyway.

Well the snails are dead, they all smell rotten. I called the store and they said their salinity is at 1.022 in there saltwater tanks(they are going to take them back and give me store credit). Mine is at 1.026 for my reef aquarium which is a pretty harsh change for inverts, I think. Could that possibly be my problem?

Snails are less susceptible to changes in pH and salinity; it's the temp. that affects them the most. (Someone please correct me if I'm not giving the right info.) On the other hand, crabs and shrimp do need a long acclimation time bc of their lower tolerances to changes in pH and salinity.

Went to the pet store, they tested my water and its good. There tank's salinty was 1.025 (so it is only a 0.001 deference from mine) and there temp is 79 and mine is 80 and water test were the same. So I cant figure out why they are dying (and so fast to)

Back
Top Bottom