Saltwater start up advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beehpee

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all, just wondered if anyone can point me in right direction regarding starting out on a saltwater setup, there are so many threads/topics on here I dunno which are worth reading for their accuracy and which aren't, I've just been to my Lfs and got chatting about setting up another tank and while I fancy giving the salty side of things a try I know next to nothing, I want somewhere I can read a basic rundown on equipment and the do's and dont's of setting up, any pointers on what to read would be appreciated, I'm still a newbie with fresh but getting so much pleasure from it I can't decide whether to stick with what I know and go with fresh or start learning from scratch. Thanks in advance peeps.

BP

What type of saltwater setup are you wanting? Fish only with live rock or reef tank, and do you have a budget cause that will matter in saltwater?

Well money isn't unlimited but I asked the guy at Lfs if I could get pretty much all I would need to get started for 500 uk £'s and he seemed to think I could, that wouldn't include any stock just the equipment, I think I would probably be limited to around 40 us galls in size if that is gonna put many restrictions on me, as for what I want I don't really know, I am thinking of giving it a try partly because it's gonna be such a challenge but also because the salt livestock are just so awesome in colours, if I decide to not go salty I'm gonna go for species only and go for cichlids as they seem to have such awesome colours as well.

Ps as I don't know offhand the exchange rate for uk to us I dunno what 500 is in dollars?

BP

1 pound = 1.57 dollars..... Do you want to keep corals cause if so it will cost more. If not that's a reasonable estimate for a fowlr tank. It's actually pretty simple then it can be run pretty much like a FW tank.

Ok so probably go FOWLR to start with then, so any pointers on good reading ? As I said tho I've not decided yet on which way to go so don't want to put anyone to much trouble which is why I thought it might be easier to read old stuff already on here rather than anyone spending ages writing stuff out then in a week or two I say I've decided it's cichlids.

BP

Check out rednecks build thread he's starting out too with a 40 breeder "new to SW/ 40br fowlr"

Edit* sorry don't know if I can or how to post links through the app on my phone

Back
Top Bottom