Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msc86

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I finally got my tank emptied and cleaned up, now I need to go and pick up some sand. Any suggestions?

You have quite a bit of choices here, you can go with crashed coral, aragonite sand or even bare bottom. If will depend on your aqua scaping and live stock you keep.

Well I definitely don't want crushed coral or a bare bottom. I have a 75 gallon tank, I've just heard of people using regular play sand and washing it real good and didn't know if that was good or if i should go a different route?

I personally would not go with play sand. Think about this way, if you are going to spend so much money on coral and fish, why would u want to risk it by saving $20 $30 for using the play sand? You can't really confirm what kind of mineral can be release from the play sand. I am sure some brand is more suitable than the other. But how would you verify? I would buy the sand provide in LFS

That's what I was thinking as well, just wanted to get a second opinion before i dumped it in there. Going to the lfs to pick everything up. Another question, do I need everything before I start cycling my tank? Like protein skimmer and what not or can that stuff come after its cycled?

If you just want plain sand, nothing special. I'd go with pool filter sand (PFS) ak.ce its plain white most times, and is (at Alaska prices) $35 for 100ibs.

That's what I was thinking as well, just wanted to get a second opinion before i dumped it in there. Going to the lfs to pick everything up. Another question, do I need everything before I start cycling my tank? Like protein skimmer and what not or can that stuff come after its cycled?

I would get things ready,althought it doesn't required for skimmer and light during cycle as you should not have any live stock in it.

alright, i have a light and everything else, just not the skimmer. I'll probably pick one up tomorrow anyways. Thanks for the help

I started out a year ago with screened and washed play sand and it was the biggest mistake I ever made. For almost the entire year I battled cyano, and hair algae. Tried every remedy in the book to get rid of it and could'nt. Finally got rid of the play sand and switched to aragonite sand and what a differance!! The sand is always white and clean, ph is stable, and the cyano disappeared, also the hair algae is 99% gone. Will never depend on a cheaper price over quality again.

Back
Top Bottom