sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NEWTOSALT

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i can use play sand to save money and use the minimum amount of live sand RIGHT? now, if i need 298 ilbs of sand according to the sand calculator how much of that should be live sand we are talkin about a 90 gallon tank thanks and i kinda feel bad asking all these ? and not being able to give any feedback give me awhile and ill be able to help with at least basic ? TIA

yes playsand is what most use like southdown,yardright,oldcastle
as much live sand you can get the better imo

Depends on where your LS is coming from. If you mean the bagged stuff at the lfs, save your money. Adding LR will make it LS. Adding a cocktail shrimp to start the Nitrogen cycle will make it LS.

The best LS comes from established tanks. It doesn't take much. Do you know any local reefers whose tanks you know. Borrow a cup or two. You can also use all playsand and get a detrivore kit or two after your tank cycles.

"Adding a cocktail shrimp to start the Nitrogen cycle will make it LS. "

i beg to differ on this comment ! all this will do is start the bacteria but will NOT make dead sand turn live!
live sand is loaded with worms pods and many other tiny critters! but not the bagged stuff sitting on the shelves!

adding lr will help make your sand get these creatures but imo no where close to "REAL" reef sand! also its takes allot longer for it to become populated this way! just like using base rock it will turn live but takes time!

agree on the 2nd comment about trying to get live sand from and local reefers that live near you! and the more sources the better! your goal is to have as much diverse life you can get!

ive started with a tank with dead sand with lr but after bringing sand back with me from the ocean i can say there is a huge difference in the amount of life that was in the sand that imo you wont get just out of rock!

Check out www.garf.org They have what is called garf grunge. It can be used as a live sand activator. It will come with the bacteria and biodiversity you want in a LS substrate. I cant remember from the site but they have a recommondation for how much to use to activate dead sand

Back
Top Bottom