sand clean up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pearsont74

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What is the best critters for cleaning up sand beds....mainly looking for something that will get the lil dead stuff left over from the cyling....I seem to coming close to the end of the my cycling period (think god) and I plan to doing a partial water change but was afriad to try to use a (gravel cleaner siphon) since i have sand. I can get most of the big stuff but I'm sure I have need for a detratious eater :)

Nassarius and cerith snails will do a good job on the sandbed, as will strombus snails (1-2 depending on species).

I would start with about 15-20 mixed nassarius/cerith and build from there as needed. How many turbo's are still hanging in there?

Cheers
Steve

none....after the 1st one croaked i took the rest back...I thought i was done with my cyclin when i got them...i wont get anything more until im for sure done but all my levels are coming down...last i tested....the other nite, my PH was good, and my ammion was under 1...like 0.02ish...and my nitrites where coming down too

Wait until the ammonia and trItes are no longer detectable before you add anything else. Do a large water change and you'll be good to go afterwards. If you can get them I would also suggest a few banded trochus along with the others.

Cheers
Steve

Does adding LR after your tank has cycled cause a problem...where is a good write up for curing LR and QT things before adding them to your main.

As long as that's what they are. Some have gotten Whelks accidently. Obsoleta's are great detritus consumers and will also help some with algae. They have also been reported to breed.

If it's an Ebay purchase, be sure to check the feedback. As long as that's excellent, you should be fine.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom