Sand live or dead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Badambomb79

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok I want to hears some opinions on sand I want "live sand" they sell bags of it at lfs in different colors light dark black pink etc. pretty expensive. I found sand on reef rock . Net and they have 40lbs for. 25$ I love that price. But is it good sand to buy? Will it look nice in my 40g breeder fowlr?

"Live Sand" in reality is Sand in a bag with water. The only benefit I've seems from it is that you don't have to rinse it before putting it in. Dead sand is sand that wasn't with water in the bag. Most of BB that would make it live grows on the rock anyway, live or dead sand doesn't matter.

"Live Sand" in reality is Sand in a bag with water. The only benefit I've seems from it is that you don't have to rinse it before putting it in. Dead sand is sand that wasn't with water in the bag. Most of BB that would make it live grows on the rock anyway, live or dead sand doesn't matter.

+1. Also real fine sand can be a pain so I would get a coarse grain size

Not too coarse though....Or it will trap a lot of detritus(uneaten food and fish poop) and cause you problems. I like something just larger than sugar sized.

Back
Top Bottom