Sea cucumber? 30 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
Anyone ever have a sea cucumber in a 29 gallon?
I know they get big but there's a 29 gallon cleaner crew on live aquaria with a 1" one and I'd love to try it for sand bed cleaning. I hear they polish it pretty good.
Also are they known for knocking around Coral frags on the bed?
Thanks

They will knock things around in the sandbed. This would be magnified the smaller the system and smaller the sandbed. Either way, I'd be worried about simply starving in such a small system, in a similar way that we look at sand sifting stars, but without the possibility of getting spooked and sending poison into the water column...which in a small body of water could be a major issue for the livestock in the system itself.

Only certain cukes like Sea apples nuke a tank if they die, not all have that issue. I've had one in my 40 breeder for about a year now and it chills in caves during the day but at night he comes out and sifts the sand bed. I'd make sure the tanks pretty mature before adding one but I don't see an issue with it in a 29. Mines about 5" long and pretty fat but I doubt it will get any bigger. It's a Caribbean species and kinda looks like a turd but they're cool animals.

Like above you need a good mature tank with plenty of food, I added a sea hare after I matured my tank for a year and he does a awesome job but I never add chemicals to clear algae and only clean the front and sides of my DT so he has loads of natural algae and live rock to scavenge across, it's doubled in size since I got it and is 9 months old [emoji1303]

Back
Top Bottom