seachem stability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greatgman

Aquarium Advice Freak
i started using this stuff yesterday to help speed cycling along
should i take the shrimp out?
or leave them in ,after 3 days they look like they are not decomposing
i have my filter running and my powerhead is on pumping a lot of air in the tank
i read if you pump air in it will help the bacteria grow and multiply faster
what about feeding the bacteria amonia, or will the shrimp do that?
thanks,
i have no live rock yet

If you're getting LR, that will most likely start a new cycle in your tank. No need for the shrimp. The reason for the LR or the shrimp is to start the Nitrogen cycle in the aquarium. Dead stuff (from LR or the shrimp) get broken down by bacteria creating ammonia. Then you get a population of bacteria that feed on ammonia and break that down to nitrates. A new population of bacteria then breaks down the nitrites to nitrates. Nitrates, in limited quantities, are non-toxic to fish. They are removed through water changes, the action of DSB or other anaerobic areas.

I believe there is an article on the nitrogen cycle in the articles section. You may also want to read the 'Fishless cycling" article there too.

leave the shrimp. shrimp decays and creates ammonia, ammonia feeds the bacteria.

Are you ever planning to add live rock? If so, expect another cycle to occur when you do.

Back
Top Bottom