Seaclear System II?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bushman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Are the Seaclear system II aquariums any good. They have an internal wet/dry filtration system. Does it work? Is it any good? I am planning a 90 or 100gal reef tank.

Also is the filtration area in the back of the tank included for in their "100 gal. " figure? Does that make sense? Is the 100 gal maybe only 90 gal. due to the internal filtration system?

Thanks

Can I assume that by the lack of replies, none of you are using the Seaclear tanks?
Anyone? Anyone?

I've got a System II

I've got a 40 gallon system II. I'm pretty happy with it...but I modified it. I took out the bioballs and tray and utilize that area with mangrove plants. I currently don't use a skimmer. When it says 100 gallon...you are not getting 100 gallons of swim space...it's just the external dimensions of the tank. I'd estimate that my sump/filter area is about 8 gallons on my 40 gal. Here's what I see as Pros/Cons:

Pros:
1-Filtration is pretty good. You could theoretically go without powerheads in the tank as the manifold makes an L in the back of the tank and covers a good area.

2-Decent size filtration box to use as a refugium or for live rock rubble

3-Attractive tank. But I'm partial to acrylic.

4-You can hide pretty much everything in the box...ie heaters, chemical media to keep the display tank pretty natural looking

Cons:
1-If you like to do things your way, you are limited by the setup in this tank. Basically if your pump fails, you'll just buy a new one and keep the setup the same way.

2-Keeping sand is difficult. Give up on a deep sand bed with this thing as the way the manifold is setup it's a sandstorm along the bottom of the tank and you'll never have a level sandbed. I keep a 1" sandbed in my tank and I can keep it looking pretty good as long as I have rock blocking some of the manifolds.

3-Space. Like I said. You would not be getting a 100 gallon swim tank...more like a 90 gal or less.

4-Acrylic scratches easily. I have a puffer in mine and his teeth scratch the acrylic...no big deal tho as scratches can be removed.

Would I get one again? Hhhmmm...not sure at this point as I was a newbie when I bought it and think as time goes on I'd like to mod my own tanks as I see fit. I would definitely consider an empty Seaclear tank though. Does it do a good job of filtration? Yes it does! I've never had any stability problems with the water and even with a larger bioload. If you get it, don't use the bioballs and tray and get some mangroves off of ebay...and cycle the tank with some raw shrimp. If you are a newbie, it's a good way to go and get introduced to saltwater as it takes alot of the guess work out for your first tank. It's really a simple tank to maintain and all self-contained as well...I've got my 40 gallon on a heavy mexican style trunk and it's a nice tank to look at. I don't have to worry about a tank stand and someplace to hide an external sump or refugium.

If you have any other questions, either post here or PM. :D

Does anyone have experience with using a SeaClear System II for a saltwater FOWLR tank?

I might be able to get a used 50 gallon variety that includes lights and a heater for a pretty good price. Since I'm a Newbie at this, the system seemed like a pretty good way to start.

One of the main things I'm not sure of is whether I can somehow include a good skimmer with that setup. Read somewhere that folks weren't too thrilled with the SeaClear skimmer, but I'm not sure if an AquaC or smthg comparable can be used with this setup.

If you have any other tips/thoughts about the system, please include those as well.

Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom