Sebae anenome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leftyfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is it healthy looking...they had white ones and this one. It is about 7-8" in diameter, I got it for $23, seems like a good price.

Attachments

• image-1736737273.jpg
    image-1736737273.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 162
Yupp good choice on it, looks healthy to me. If it is healthy it should be very sticky when you touch its tentacle and attach to a rock very quickly after you put it in your tank. They are still one of the harder anemones to care for though sadly.

How can I get it from the bucket I'm doing the drip in to the tank safely? It seems always to hold, can I hold it with gloves and put it in without hurting it?

Ok, I'll let you guys know how it goes, probably another hour, the store ph was dark purple, at least 8.8.

Took over 3 hours to acclimate, I moved it over and didn't drop it. Looks pretty happy right now. I put it on a flat rock, we'll see.

The tannish brown color is a good thing. If it was white then most likely it was bleached. The color on this one is pretty good and should look like this. Here is some info on it. BTW see that it is rated as difficult. I personally would like to see them in the "expert only" class as IMO they dont have a good track record and need a mature tank of at least one year.

Seabae Anenome

That looks healthy. What kind of lighting do you have? Sebae's are a high light demanding anemone.

ccCapt said:
That looks healthy. What kind of lighting do you have? Sebae's are a high light demanding anemone.

I have two AI sol led modules. I have them go up to 30% by noon, then for ten min up to 45%, then back to 30 and slowly down to sunset. I will bump it up a little in a week or so.

So the anenome was looking rather upset all day yesterday, the tentacles were shrunken in and looked deflated, not all of them but some. So I put it in a container and have it floating at the top of the tank, I cranked up the leds to 50% for an hour and it still looked sad. It's mouth was open and it had something reddish stuck in there. I tickled it like a clown fish would and it completely re-inflated and looked very happy again. This am the reddish thing that was stuck in it's mouth was out in the bucket and the anenome was closed up, not completely, but hiding most of it's tentacles.

Is it possible for me to put my clowns in this bowl with the anenome for them to maybe explore it? It seems happy if it is being hosted. Any other advice?

Some clowns don't host taking them out and putting them in a bowl won't help and would probably cause a lot of stress. I know when I put an aggressive fish in my tank my clown started hosting an acan which really upset me because they can irritate the coral to death.
I have thought about getting an anemone for my clown to host but know they only usually live a few years in an aquarium but can live decades in the ocean. Unless the clown fish that is hosting the anemone in the wild is taken with it the clown can sometimes end up as food for another fish before it has time to get another anemone.

Some people have had luck feeding the clown over an anemone others as strange as it sounds put a picture of a clown hosting on the tank. I think it just made the clown think there was another clown and it started hosting because of stress.

My clowns don't get stressed out, lol, at least they always seem to be clowning around. :)

Does anyone have suggestions on getting the clowns to at least see the anenome or come in contact with it? I have read cases of anenomes living for 5+ years in tanks, so if it is happy enough, who knows. But it definitely liked being tickled like a clown does. I just think they would host if they were at least near it. I put up a picture, lol, they don't care or it wasn't up for long enough.

Spent an hour re-scaping the left side of my tank for the anenome, I put it back in last night after the tank settled down from the ordeal. It looked happy all day and even turned it self upside down in the bowl but stayed full inflated. It took up residence on the rock for about an hour then moved itself to where it is still today, on the sand behind a stick thing I have (don't know the name) in the tank. In the far back corner where I can't see it, lol.

The clowns have been hovering over it during the day but have not made the plunge, despite the two photos I have showing them what to do.

Back
Top Bottom