Seeding base rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hbright

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What's the most effective way to increase the spread of coralline algae, etc to base rock? My "Premium" rock is covered but spreading very slowly.
Thanks Bunches,
Heather

Make sure you have plenty of waterflow directed at the coralline covered surface, and if possible scraping small patches off the rock or glass can help spread it to new rocks as well.

How long has your tank been set up? It may take months for the coraline to spread to your base rock. IMHO you should also have a calcium level of at least 350 and lots of water flow for good coraline growth.

Brian

Make sure you have plenty of waterflow directed at the coralline covered surface, and if possible scraping small patches off the rock or glass can help spread it to new rocks as well.

I use this method, you must also keep your Ca > 400 with a balanced ALK.

My tank has been up for 4 months. I just bought a new brand of calcium that came with another bottle to balance the alk. I can't remember the name and I'm at work or I would check the bottle. I hope this will help it to spread. I've never tried this type of Calcium before so I thought I would try it out. I also got 2 more Maxijet 1200's. That gives me 4 powerheads for circulation.

One thing I have been very successful with was recommended to me by Anthony Calfo. I currently dose my tanks that need some coralline boost with Seachem's Reef Calcium. It is glucose based which makes it not really useful for actual calcium applications for stonies, but great for coralline growth.

Back
Top Bottom