Seeking Advice For New 135 Gal Marine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EthanLAS

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I currently have a nice 55 gal freshwater, but I am very interested in getting a saltwater tank...I want something bigger and a local place is selling brand new 135 gal. glass tanks for $120 and I'm thinking of getting one...

I want advice on what models/brands of equipment to buy and what to stay away from, I know I'll need a lot more, I was thinking of setting it up with seperate canister filters inside the stand, I need a good skimmer and heater, and maybe some powerheads??

The reef setup is fascinating, but I don't think I want to get into that at this time, but can I put a little bit of live rock in? what kind of substrate is good?

For water testing is it better to get the electronic meters, or stick with the drops in test tubes?

I've been reading a book about marine aquariums and it doesn't seem that much more difficult than fresh water (I change my FW tank's water religiously at about 18% a week and I always make the water a day and a half ahead of time in a special tub only for my aquarium, I am also constantly rinsing out one of the filters every other day (mechanical filter, charcoal, and anti-ammonia filter) and change the airstones and what not as needed, what can I say, I love the fish so I take as good of care of them as possible).

Any advice will be greatly appreciated,
Thanks,
Ethan.

for the test kits try salifert. the drop style test kits are a good starting place. digital meters are only neseccary for reefs( dont get me wrong a digital pH meter takes much less time to use, therefore I use it more frequently than with the test kits)
If you are thinking of doing a reef in the future, look into using a sump. They can be easier in the long run. The best reefs around grow slowly.
If you have good maintenance habbits on fw then the transition to sw should not be hard.
I reccomand you read the articles section, it has a lot of great info :D

brand new 135 gal. glass tanks for $120 and I'm thinking of getting one...

Great deal! Just don't skimp on the stand or flooring where it will go as this 135 will push 1300 lbs! It's kind of ironic that buying the tank is one of the least expensive items in a sw aquarium setup (comparted to skimmer, furniture, lighting, lr, etc.).

I was thinking of setting it up with seperate canister filters inside the stand, I need a good skimmer and heater, and maybe some powerheads

Why do you want to use a canister, because you own one now? It can be good for mechanical / carbon filtering but most of us here would agree not to use this on a 135 for a biofilter, they are not very good biofilters and they are nitrate factories. Most would agree to go with lr or a wet/dry system.

A skimmer can wait a few months if you want to put the money toward your lr or wet/dry. Plus it will give you time to sort out wether you will have a sump to put it in. Yes, a good heater or 2 and several large powerheads, say 400-600 gph each.

can I put a little bit of live rock in? what kind of substrate is good?

Would be better to put a lot in! Go with aragonite (calcium carbonate based) sand, no silicas! You can save a lot of money if home depot near you has southdown or old castle tropical playsand. You will be surprised at how much sand you need for a 135. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/calcs2.php?type=sanddepth

I change my FW tank's water religiously at about 18% a week and I always make the water a day and a half ahead of time in a special tub only for my aquarium, I am also constantly rinsing out one of the filters every other day (mechanical filter, charcoal, and anti-ammonia filter

Good habits! That will go a long way towards your success! I'd say 10% per week is about right, but the more the better.

Other than that, take your time and keep asking questions and posting your progress. We care and want to hear!

Back
Top Bottom