self fragging?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishtender

Aquarium Advice Activist
I noticed that my purple frilly gorg seems to have anchored itself to the LR it is touching about 3" up from its base in the SB. Do they selt adhere wherever they touch? This would be an easy way for a beginner to frag being that I no nothig about it and know no one that can demonstate.

I try to avoid touching it, it seems so fragile. It is one of my fav's.

Howard

That is actually a great sign. When gorgs grow, they will attach to adjacent surfaces. It is how they propagate themselves in the wild as well as "cast offs". Once the growth has enough "substance" to it you could frag it after a time. For now I would wait until you get some steady growth and your algae issues are taken care of before attempting changes like that. They are relatively easy to frag. Just cut about ½" below where it has attached and allow the higher structure to remain.

Then either piece can be moved to a newer location or left alone. Personally If it's doing that well, I'd not tempt fate. Might be able to place a few small rubble rock near to a few branches and see it that yields any results.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve. I am to fond of my corals to go and mess with them if they are doing good. I will get books on proper fragging when I feel that I am experienced enough. Not soon, I assure you. As for the algae prob, I have made all the changes we discussed and so far so good. The only other thing I did was switch to RO water. My local market just installed a new system. (I have taken to drinking it myself.) So far I have not seen a bit of algae since I did the ater shange on Mon. A very good sign since before I would see it the very next day. Keep your fingers crossed.
I know my corals aren't real happy about the lack of light, but they will have to tough it out wiht the rest of the livestock.

I will keep you up-to-date.

Thanks again,
Howard

Back
Top Bottom